_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Rusting
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
I have been thinking about a certain scene that would involve rusting a wall. I know rustall is good for rusting, but is there a special technique for rusting. My thought is a rust mark made from water seeping from a roof of some sort. Does this make sense? Anyway, I could use some ideas.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC
A technique I've used is to get an old piece of rusty metal from outdoors. Any piece, so long as it has rust on it. Using some fine grit sandpaper (220 or above) sand some of the rust off over a piece of white paper so as to collect the dustings.
By simply adding a little water to your collected rust dust, you have...well rust, which could be painted or applied to anything...models, dios, etc.
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 09:33 PM UTC
Good call, I'll try that. Thanks
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
Greetings, Another way to make your own rust is to disolve a steel wool pad in a closed jar of vinegar. It takes some time, but once disolved you open the jar and allow the vinigar to evaporate. Best do this step out doors unless you want the house to smell like cheap wine. #:-) Once the liquid is gone you have a nice jar of real rust powder. You can strain the vinegar/ disolved pad mixture through a coffee filter to speed things along. Have fun, Scott

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
The steel wool is a good method. I've heard some people say just use water. Not sure if either one is better though.

You may want to use rust colored pastels as well. Just use them the same as you would for any other weathering.

You can make your own "Rust All" by dissolving the proper colored rust pastels in Tamiya thinner. Grind them up first (rub the pastel stick on sandpaper.) Make sure to use chalk pastels though!

Steve
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
One word of advice to anyone that tries the steel wool in vinegar idea, if you do open the jar for some reason, keep it far far far away from your nose. Steel wool + vinegar + time = worse than just vinegar, believe you me.
Storch
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:28 PM UTC
isnt it better to just mix the rust dust with glue, or a transparant (preferably matt) paint and then just apply it on your model? In that way you dont have to use the vinegar at all.

Storch
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:22 PM UTC
If it were comming off the roof it might have a tint of light green and if water were at a normal flow rust couldnt form it would just Iodize.and be a color like black in the center and fade out to light green and probly fade from there to a darker green . . . . I think Im trying to picture it yeh that sounds right . #:-)
 _GOTOTOP