Hosted by Darren Baker
Well I have just taken the 1/16 plunge
johnmshaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
Just ordered a 1/16 full option Tiger I , with metal tracks from Backyard Armor. They have excelent prices on these expensive kit. Has anyone else had experience with other details for this kit? ie...PE kits (Arber) suspension upgrades etc... I can't wait to get it
although I plan on taking my sweet time building it so I can get it right. :-)
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
Please be extra careful with that kit, take all the time of the world and be careful. Today I almost spilled a bottle of tamiya cement on top of one of my tigers I'm building, if it would have been a 1/16 tiger I would.......just be careful.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:00 PM UTC
I bought the Aber PE set. Believe me, it is nice. One problem I figured out is that once you RC the tank, the moment you hit something, you'll lose PE parts. There are several aluminum barrels available to replace the kit plastic barrel.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC
A word of advice for someone who runs a Tiger for play. Don't spend the money on the aber set. the plastic peices are fragile enough. I would suggest some other thingslike a metal barrel though. Just don't get the one from barrel depot. It is designed for the static kit.Tamiya does offer a PE grill set for the Tiger and other than the barrel it's the only thing I'd recommend. But, this is only if you're planning on going and playing with it. HTH STUG
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
ohhh dont remind me..

my dragon panther A was nearly ruined... because i spilled industrial thinner on it... damn... dont laugh at me..cos' at that time i thought that the thinner could remove the paint...well it DID remove the paint and it also corroded my tank!!

my face at that time was like

and after that
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the Aber PE set. Believe me, it is nice. One problem I figured out is that once you RC the tank, the moment you hit something, you'll lose PE parts. There are several aluminum barrels available to replace the kit plastic barrel.

Yeah, Rob is right. Dont spend for the Aber set unless you are really dedicated, and you are really dedicated to putting it in a display case...

Also, spend less money than you would have on the Aber Superset and go get one of the new Trumpeter 1/16 T-34/76 kits. WOW! You can also get figures or Tamiya makes a couple of really excellent Kubelwagens in 1/16 scale.

Metal replacement tracks and the aforementioned barrel and PE screens are all great recommendations.

Scott Gentry
majorproblem
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi,
You will find the standard suspension is fine as it is, no mods needed other than hot glueing the torsion bars into the swing arms.
The only other problem with running one of these, is the same as all the Tamiya R/C tanks, the grub screws in the sprocket drive shaft attached to the motors!.....make sure it has plenty of loctite on it, even if it does, it will still eventually work loose!
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hey Mark, welcome to the world of 1/16 RC tanks. I would also not recommend PE if you are going to run the tank around the house, peices will pop of easily! Definitely get the aluminum barrel for it. I ordered mine from Backyard Armor website. The Tiger is very cool on its own, the metal tracks are a great upgrade (much more durable), I don't know if you saw the "Recoil" upgrades for the Tiger I & II, but man are they cool...watch the videos on the Backyard Armor site, I'm sure it'll impress you! Anyways, keep us posted on your progress...before you know it, you'll be adicted like me.

johnmshaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
She arrived today
WOW what a beauty , even better than I thought. I am going to take me time building it , I really want to do it right :-)
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:19 PM UTC
How about some figures next to it? that would really look nice. Have fun and take your time
johnmshaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC

The metal tracks from www.backyardarmor.com arrived today. WOW
they are awesome and weigh a ton, wondering if the thing will even move with those babies on
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:11 AM UTC
The tank will move, but slower ( not by much) compared 6to the stock tracks. By buying these you saved yourself a whole lot of hassle, the tamiya tracks snap like crazy, and you soon run out of links.

I bought mine off ebay from an Asian company, theyvare great, but were a hassle to put on, check to make sure they both have the right number of links.
 _GOTOTOP