_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
why do british tanks all begin with C?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 05:57 AM UTC
You have churchill, cromwell,challanger,centurion,chieftan,conquer and so on if anyone knows let me know cheers
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
There is also the Matilda :-)
the_unborn
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
Matilda, Valentine, Archer, Bishop also start with C :-) :-) Joke
Then you have some imported tanks, like Grant, Achilles, etc...

bye
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC
Well, like everything in the British military in WWII, the answer is kind of complicated. I'll try to simplify it ... an impossible task.

Back in the 1930s, the British designated tanks as either Infantry Tanks or Cruiser Tanks. There were also some light tanks, i.e., Harry Hopkins, Vickers, etc.
Cruiser tanks started out with just different "Marks," but all those numbers and letters must have soon proved confusing, so Cruiser tanks ended up with names that started with "C" -- Covenanter, Crusader, Cavalier, Centaur, Cromwell, Challenger, Comet, Centurion.

It all went out the window with the Churchill. The Churchill was actually an Infantry Tank, like the Matilda, Valentine and Black Prince. Self-propelled guns had names all over the place: Archer, Bishop, Avenger ... then throw in all the American-built vehicles that were nicknamed after Civil War generals: Sherman, Lee, Grant, Stuart. The American M7 "Priest" prompted other SP guns to have clerical names: i.e., Sexton and Bishop.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
bob is 100% correct,

C for cruiser was the original idea.

like bob says, the process of naming british military kit is confusing, some have names, some is their role abbreviated(Combat Engineering Tractor for example) and some just their FV number.

also bear in mind the names associated with US tanks, (sherman, grant etc) were actually first given to the vehicles by the british!

cheers

joe
 _GOTOTOP