_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Time
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
How long can a diorama take? I am knew to that realm. I only ask so I don't let my patience gain the best of me.
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
This one took me 2 mouths (on and off) it also depends on how much detail you wana have. But in the end its worth it. (mine whent quick because i used materials from my model railroad #:-) )
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How long can a diorama take? I am knew to that realm. I only ask so I don't let my patience gain the best of me.

Well...

I suppose it depends on the level of deatil and the size (scope) of the project.

A dio of a tank crew loading ammo may only take a few days for an experienced builder.

If you are depecting a segment of the D-day landing with hundreds of figures or doing Battle Ship Row on December 6, 1941, it might take five years!

Sorry I can't give a more definitive answer. But, do you have a deadline? I suppose if you are a professional builder or have a contest in mind, you might have a due-date.

Steve

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
I always look at duration in hours. I never get a 'day' of modeling (fantasy).
A simple base type can take anywhere from 3 - 10 hours depending on complexity of ground works and detail and ground cover.
A full dio with multiple figures, kits, building etc. can easily take 30 - 60+ hours (at least for me).
Calander time is a whole different ball game.
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
Well, time is no issue to me. I have all the time in the world, kinda. I go to college out of state, so when I am home (i.e. December, and summer) I want to get what I would like to accomplish done. I am knew at all this, so it may take a while, I guess. Especially when it comes to figure painting and added detail... that I need practice in.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Heard of folks working on them for years. Really kind of hard to put a time limit on according to how much stuff is added and detail is added
my 2 cents .
which in todays market is not worth that much
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
For a first "holiday time" dio, you'd better go for something small and simple : 2 or 3 figures, a vehicle, a few simple items around... But that's just my vision ! Some guys pull of incredible stuff quickly on their first attempt !
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 07:19 AM UTC
I put some more thought into this topic last night.
It really depends on how much scratch vs. AM stuff you use. If you scratch build a tree for instance using the twisted wire method it will take you about 10 times longer than if you go preassembled or even if you go stick and sea-foam. Or if you scratch build a building it can take a great deal of extra time compared to a pre-fab assembly deal.

It just really depends on your style, ability, patience, resources, etc.
 _GOTOTOP