_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Alexa traffic rankings
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 07:01 PM UTC
I was looking at some of the info on Alexa about armorama.com. Just how accurate is this stuff? For instance it gives the following info.

Speed: Slow (71% of sites are faster), Avg Load Time: 2.5 Seconds

Popups: Many (13% of sessions have popups)

I don't think the site is any slower to open than any other ones I visit, in most cases it is faster. Panzernet is quoted as being fast and yet with all the pics on the page it takes much longer to open.
I've never yet had a popup appear whilst here so where do they get the 13% figure?

How do they come by these statistics?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
Not sure about the speed stuff. It may count the number of images loaded. Which in case of that we are on the high side.

Also we do have pop-ups. They are the photo enlargement windows on news, features, and reviews. So...good pop-ups.

Jim
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also we do have pop-ups. They are the photo enlargement windows on news, features, and reviews. So...good pop-ups.

Oh right, I thought they were new windows opening rather than pop-ups. If they are classed as such shouldn't they be selling something? lol

Quoted Text

I say screw 'em.......this is the best modelling site bar none and that's all they need to know

Well said sir.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
Wow, did you see that surge in users, there were 51 users logged in at one time today.
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:26 PM UTC
didnt someone once say there are 3 types of lies, there are lies, there are dammed lies, and there are statistics
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

personally speaking i say screw 'em, this idiots that write up those statistics would know their arse from their elbow!

A person does not gather and present these ratings, they are gathered automatically by a web-robot. Consequently there are ways to trick the robot into raising or lowering your rankings. This site's "slow" rating is a consequence of the complex URLs that the robot has to parse and is not related to the actual speed of the server or ping returns etc.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Paul.
 _GOTOTOP