Land Rover in Vietnam
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hello all,
I just see in a book, there was a british Land Rover utility truck in civilian operation in the 50's.
Could anyone tell me how many Land Rover trucks were used during the Nam war? How many Rover truck models available in 1/35 scale? Thank you.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Francois,
The Australian Army used the Landrover during the Vietnam war. I don't know what type (no doubt someone else can help you with that).
Accurate Armour does some Landrovers (these are modern I believe) and I thought Italeri does (did) a (pink) Landrover.

hope this helps (a little)

kind regards

Mark
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:20 PM UTC
the landrover was to the Australian & New Zealand armies in vietnam the same as the jeep was to the American forces.

I may have some pics in my references here at home but I suggest you try the 'Australian War Memorial' collection database. Sorry no URL at the moment but if you do a 'Google' search for the Australian War Memorial Museum it will bring up the URL and also a direction to take once you are in on how to search their database.

They have one of the largest collections of Photos on line bar none.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
I can't tell you how many were used in Vietnam, Francois but I can tell you:

1. Land rovers in Vietnam were used mainly by the Aussies. There is an excellent photo website for land rovers including those used in Vietnam under www.expeditionexchange.com/action/
2. I believe they were mainly Series II or improved versions of Series II rather than Series III
3. Tamiya and Italeri makes the Series II (Pink Panther version for Tamiya)
4. The latest version Land Rover Defender of LR 11O known as Wolf is reproduced in beautiful detail by Accurate Armor but it costs a bomb as it is a resin + metal model. Accurate Armor also produces the Ambulance and Command vehicle versions and possibly the LR 90 (shorter wheelbase)

I'm trying to convert the Tamiya model to a Land Rover 110 used by the SAS for scud hunting during the Gulf War. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to convert the tyres to modern Michelins as the one given by Tamiya are the old Dunlops.

Hope that helps.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:39 PM UTC
An Australian company has released a conversion set for the Italeri Serie III Land-Rover kit that includes Australian modifications but I think most parts could be used for a Vietnam-era vehicle :
http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Reviews/AArmour/AArmoutLRt.htm

The most "difficult" thing to to is to modify the front wheel arches....
HTH
Frenchy
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:42 PM UTC
thanks for the link to aussie armor
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC
John Myszka's website is the place to go for Australian armor lovers. And ordering from Australia is not as expensive as one would believe, even a Frenchman

Frenchy
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:24 PM UTC
I'm working on that special forces landrover by Italeri right now kit no.# 258, and I got to say, I wasn't expecting much when I got it, but when I started to go thru the parts, I never seen so many different weapons it has.

No matter which way the occupants turn they have a weapon to grab, it even has rifles holstered on the front fenders, they would be easy to grab, cause of no doors.
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thanks very much for your information.
I am looking for these kits:
- #35076 - Tamiya British SAS Land Rover Pink Panther
- #35082 - Tamiya British Rover 7 Ambulance
- #258 - Italeri Land Rover (out of production)
To build these Land Rover in service in Vietnam. I need your opinion.
 _GOTOTOP