_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Feifel air cleaners
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:50 AM UTC
Did Tigers in russia have the feifel air cleaners on or did they take them off.iv just started a new model Tiger1 early tank number 332 of the 503 tank battalion.but i dont know weather to leave them on or take them back off.cheers
mikeli125
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
yes they had the feifel filters fitted to them
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanks davy cheers
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hi Tiger I have pictures taken as late as October 1943 and 332 still has the feifel cleaners on the tank ..although the left one seems to have had extensive battle damage and the and the hoses are not connected on that side ...but the hoses are still on the back of the tank so it must be new damage... If you are going to paint this tank I think Tamiya made a mistake ..it should be overall dark yellow and not grey..

Rick
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tiger I have pictures taken as late as October 1943 and 332 still has the feifel cleaners on the tank ..although the left one seems to have had extensive battle damage and the and the hoses are not connected on that side ...but the hoses are still on the back of the tank so it must be new damage... If you are going to paint this tank I think Tamiya made a mistake ..it should be overall dark yellow and not grey..

Rick

I have seen this theory before, what information do you have on this? Based on the date this tank was in service, this may or may not make sense. Dunkelgelb was introduced on Tigers in April 1943 so it is possible, but 332 was a very early model, so I am not positive one way or another. I have several books with pictures of this famous tank, but they are all b/w and none of them says conclusively to me yellow or gray. Does Tom Jentz have a theory?

Is there any color evidence or eyewitness accounts of this? I know there had to be a transition of this unit from Panzer Grau to Dunkelgelb, but I have not been able to discover for sure which color this tank actually was.

Any help would be great. Enquiring minds want to know...

Scott Gentry
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
I have a pic of #332 in March/April 1943 being towed out of a marsh and it does have the filters mounted..

It is difficult to tell what color the tank is, but from the color plates, I'd say it is Dark Yellow...
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:11 AM UTC
My info comes from Tigers in Combat vol.I the date is marked as 04/10/43. This is not one of their original Tigers as it does not have their special box on the back of the turret .. I'm just going by the date for the dark yellow reasoning ...

Rick
 _GOTOTOP