_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
cornfield
Spiderman
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:02 PM UTC
how would i make a cornfield in 1/72 scale???? please help
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:53 AM UTC
From memory of an old RR magazine article- asparagus fern. This was found in a craft store and i believe its made of plastic and used as a filler plant for arrangements. The stalk was cut to height and the the round leaves were squished flat with pliers.
The author also noted that it would be rather time consuming to make a field, he used it for a garden plot which was smaller in size.
I would consider this info a steer in direction. Maybe best to double check it before ordering a bunch site unseen online or something
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
That is a good question. Model railroaders have struggled with this one for years. I need to get out some of my magazines to research the brand. The best most realistic cornfield I ever saw was done with a photo etch set from a company I cannot recall. I will get back to you with that. It may be cost prohibitive to use, but the result is stunning.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
I have located the info about the photo etch corn. You can find an article about using it in the June 2002 Model Railroader (Kalmbach Publishing). The company that makes the PE corn is:

Alkem Scale Models
6056 Estates Drive
Alexandria, VA 2231

I tried the url listed in the magazine but the address came up unfound. There is also an article about making cornfields from welcome mats in the April 1993 Model Railroader. They are not as nice as the PE, but are passable.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:21 AM UTC
http://www.geocities.com/bkempins/ASMMain/Corn.html
 _GOTOTOP