_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
proffessional vs recreational modeler
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC
I would like to enter contests and show does that make me a proffesional modeler? Or should I be aspiring to this to be able to win shows. What excatly do they look at when entering contests?
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 02:20 AM UTC
Entering in contests are a very good way to learn how to fix your mistakes and learn new tricks from your fellow modelers. After the contest you can ask the judges what they saw wrong with your model and get their opinion on how you can improve your skills. HTH

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
The better question is - "What do you want?" Different people enter contests for different reasons.
In would toss in my 2 cents worth and cross instustry lines. If you look at a weekend soccer player, what makes them a 'pro' - getting good and Getting Paid to do it. Looking a software developers, I know a bunch of people that code small stuff on the weekend and they are hobbiests, not pros. Once they get that first paid gig, they are pro's! If you want to define a pro, my qualifier is 'payment'.
You could also say - Contest Winners are Hobbiests waiting for thier first paycheck. If I were to hire a pro, I'd look at his/her resume and see where they're coming from as far as paying gigs, or contest wins.

Lets see what everyone else thinks.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hey Padrino,

Here is a thought that was freekin' fantastic for my tallents.....

Nexst year, make every plans to attend the AMPS show/festival in Harve De Grace. Volunteer to be a basic judge and then follow the rest of your team. You can comment on what you like and dislike. the other judges offer their comments and expertise. Side benifit, you get to see what and how the points are awarded at a contest like AMPS.

Check out the AMPS for infomation on the event (37 weeks to Go!). Also, make sure (if you go) to hit the gathering at Grumpy's . The first pitcher is on me!

Dave
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to enter contests and show does that make me a proffesional modeler? Or should I be aspiring to this to be able to win shows. What excatly do they look at when entering contests?

SO really the first question has to be Why are you building?

If you're building for fun, because you enjoy the process and relaxation of gluing bits together, do that and don't worry about shows and winning.

If you like the challenge, and want some small degree of recognition, build and enter shows. I agree with the previous poster who said 'ask the judges' also, keep an eye on the builder who won and ask them what they did.

Do be careful though, lots of judging is subjective. By that I mean not all judges are experts on all topics and often , in smaller local shows, the judges are volunteers from the entrants. Since they cannot judge catagories they enter, you might get a plane guy jugding your tank.

There is also the builder vs artist bias. Some judges judge for what looks good to their eye, some judge based on what they precieve as 'accuracy'

Also AMPS is a great place to learn, judge and ask questions there.. they have a points and medals system that will allow for 20 silver medals in a catagory and no golds if the judging teams don't find enough models earn enough points. Most other shows use the 1st,2nd,3rd and maybe an Honorable mention.. if you're not a local big-dog modeler, you're out of the money before you even go in the door.

I type from experience here, I started as a 'for fun' builder and got into AMPS. Going to my second show this year I had my sights set on Gold level in Intermediate and promotion to Advnaced. I am a builder and added many many niggling little details to my Panther, but did not finish it realistically enough for the judging team. (Read as: Not enough mud) So I missed my gold by 1 point and got a silver. The realism (accuracy ) pendulumn had swung, for me, to the artistic side..on another day, with other judges maybe not.

I was pissed off, then angry.. now can get past that and be a bit more philosophical.

Next year..

hope this helps,
Other thoughts?

Mike
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to enter contests and show does that make me a proffesional modeler?

Ok for example a professional hooker gets paid, while a amateur does it for free!

Hmm a professional modeller... I would think what denotes a proffesional modeller is a modeller who is paid for his work.

So you can skip the show, put your finished modeller up for sale on Ebay and when it sells "abracadabra", you are a proffesional modeller

I don't really know what would qualify anyone as a proffesional modeller other than being recognised by your peers for your consistency in quality model building. Entering shows may not qualify you but winning a few might.

MSW

Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
Go for it Padrino,if we were all reluctant to enter shows,there would be nothing to look at.
a judge is just another modeller(or should be). :-) :-)
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
pro-fes-sion-al adj. 1. engaged in an activity as a means of livelihood or gain 2. a person who earns his or her living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs.....AMATEURS!?!?! oh whell where just very good amateurs :-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
I see professionals as those in two classes. The first are those that work at it, for example those guys at ILM who build models of anything needed for movies. The second class which for us is closer to home are those who have consistently built exempliary kits which which garners them the honor of actualy being sought by The premeir Madelling mags and publishers. As well as speaking engagements at different modelling conventions and such. The rest of us fall into that category of dablers to one extent or another. Thats my take on professional vs. recreational modeller.

AS to where you should set your sights depends on you. Do you want to be a guru to the modelling world or just build to satisfy yourself. Folks like steve Zaloga have spent good portions of their lives building and climbing the ladder. You need to choose at least an intermediate goal, by which I mean to build to your satisfaction or to attempt to please whatever judge might view your kit. IF you choose the latter you 'll need to "get known" by playing the networking/political game as well. Which means going to and getting involved in the major organizations Like AMPS and Ipms, wheree you'lllmeet the publishers,editors and manufacturers reps. If your looking to be a Ken Jones, Sheppe Paine or Steve Zaloga( and so on ) it's a long road. IT's doable but requires lot's of work and time and money.Your choice either way always enjoy what your doing.

Josh WEingarten
aKa shiryon :-)
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Padrino ............I can tell you that being a member of AMPS and
also being a Diorama Judge is a great experience, and has helped me
when building model's, what i know other judges will be looking for when
they grade my models. All you need to know, you can find at the link below:
AMPS Rules for Show Judging
http://www.amps-armor.org/contestRules.asp
.....As cdave told you, get to the next AMPS show and volunteer for juding.
I know very, very few ( but their were a few ) who didn't care to do it again, but
the majority can't wait to go back and work together with a team of judges.
It will be an experience you'll always remember and benefit from.
Plus being on a team earns you new friends, and great modelers who will
share their scale modeling "know how " & "how to's " with you.
The next show is "around the corner " .....
..........September 14, 2002 ( AMPS EAST ) .....in Wayne, New Jersey.
I can't wait myself, for this show, and then the biggie ........
...............AMPS 2003 at Harve de Grace, Maryland .....on April 11 & 12.
Hope to see you at either of these show's !
I'd be glad to answer any other question's you might have.
- ralph

_GOTOTOP