_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Aircraft Diorama Idea
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:27 AM UTC
I'm in the process of making my first aircraft (1/48th scale F-4J Phantom II) and I got this idea of making a base for it using 1/128th scale vehicles from GHQ like so.

The jet would be angled almost 90 degrees and mounted on a stick attached to the base, with cotton for exhaust covering up the stick. Another idea I had was maybe instead of placing the stick in the middle, place it at a corner, or edge and have the jet at a 45 degree angle. This should give you an idea (sry about the crappy artwork, did it in about 10 minutes)

What do you guys think, do you think it's feasible, or am I wasting my time? Anyone else tried this?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
I like i dea, but im not sure the wool concept would work, id go for the corner, cheers
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC
I like the idea also. I have wanted to try this to but it seemed to difficult to make it look right. Of course if you know how to do forced projective, I think this is what its called, you should be able to make it work. Wish I could tell you more but I will stop now before I confuse myself :-)
DPD1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC
It's an interesting idea... Model RR people have used the forced perspective trick of using smaller models in the background fairly often. I've seen it work well in that regard. I'm honestly not sure how it would work in this case, because in the RR type of scene, the smaller scale object would be at the back of the scene. With this, it looks like you would have to look down on it to get that perspective? It would probably work well for photography, as that way you could control the perspective even more by shooting at the most advantageous angle, and also put the smaller models in the background slightly out of focus.

Dave
Los Angeles, CA

-DPDP Model Accessories-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:17 PM UTC
are you trying to show a boming run? 90 degress will be too sharp for a bombing run.. the 45 deg idea sounds better. and too much cottom will make it look like a rocket instead
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC
Yeah, with more thought, I think I'll scrap the cotton idea and try to make it at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to try to get some NVA vehicles and maybe make some 128th scale buildings down there. Maybe have a few bombs missing and a fireball coming off of a target. I realize it would be for looking down at, but I'll just place it on a bottom shelf for display.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
Yeah, with more thought, I think I'll scrap the cotton idea and try to make it at a 45 degree angle. I'd like to try to get some NVA vehicles and maybe make some 128th scale buildings down there. Maybe have a few bombs missing and a fireball coming off of a target. I realize it would be for looking down at, but I'll just place it on a bottom shelf for display.
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
You may want to use a clear plastic rod to mount your plane to give it the illusion of flight, I have seen it done before on bases. It looks good and does detract from the diorama itself.
 _GOTOTOP