_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Academy Russian M4A2
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:44 PM UTC
Hello All,
Was wondering about this kit. My understanding is
this is a Soviet version only. I'm guessing it is because of the turret and 76mm gun.
My question would be, could a Marine version be made by switching the turret to a 75mm from an M4A3?
Or can someone explain if it is possible to do a conversion, what would need to be done?
And yes, I do know that Academy is going to release a Marine version at a future date, but I'm still curious.
Regards,
Joe
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
Howdy Joe,

Since I haven't seen the kit yet (open box) either, I am curious about the answer to your query as well.

Tread.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:09 PM UTC
Joe
that would be an easy conversion Just make sure it's the turret from the M4A3 75mm version
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
Thr M4A2 is not a model I know too much about but I believe it's the large hatch that makes it unsuitable for conversion to any other use.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:46 PM UTC
Alan
The Marines used the large hatch A2 75mm in the Pacific
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC
Doh! OK. Instead of buying a $30 Academy kit and a donor turret why not just get the $20 Italeri USMC and use the M4A2 option? It already comes with the 75mm.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:57 PM UTC
If using the Italeri kit and "M4A2 coversion", make sure you also use the wading gear too; those in the know say it hides the innacurate - for - an - M4A2 rear end. Otherwise it is supposed to be a very nice kit of an ootb M4A3 or ootb USMC M4A3.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hello All,
Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking the general consensus is that an M4A3 75mm turret would make an accurate conversion. Agreed?
I do have the Italeri kit, that will be built using the wading trunks, but wanted to do (if possible) a Marine version without all the extras.
Now, I'm just a novice when it comes to armor in general and am trying to learn. The large hatch 75mm turret was mentioned. Is this in reference to the commander's hatch? Also does the presence of the loader's hatch make a difference?
Thanks to all who took time to respond.
I'm looking forward to learning more.
Regards,
Joe
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
When speaking of Shermans, large/small hatch refer to the driver and co-driver hull hatches. The small hatch is oval and is oriented longways from nose to tail. Plus there is a little bump extension on the glacis plate to fit the hatch. The large hatch, of course, is much larger and is angled approximately 45 degrees. There are no bulge extentions to fit the hatch.

WIth turrets, there is the split hatch commander's hatch and the single hatch with all around vision cupola. Some times it's called periscope cupola.

The early Sherman turrets had no loader's hatch. Late 75mm turrets added an oval loaders hatch. 76mm turrets had a single commander's hatch with a loader's hatch just like the original split commander's hatch.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the clarification. After I read it, I realized how stupid I was in not knowing that. It's something I've read many times.
So, if I take an M4A3 75mm turret with split commander's hatch and loader's hatch, then it would make an accurate Marine version?
Also, wanted to know about the Academy turret. Is it the same turret that is found in the Italeri M4A1 kit (T-23 type)?
I'm trying to get the most out of my money. So, if I can put the 75mm on the Academy and take the Academy turret and put it on an M4A3 I'd be real happy to get two accurate kits.
Regards,
Joe
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, if I take an M4A3 75mm turret with split commander's hatch and loader's hatch, then it would make an accurate Marine version?

Yes.

Quoted Text

Also, wanted to know about the Academy turret. Is it the same turret that is found in the Italeri M4A1 kit (T-23 type)?

Sort of. The Academy turret has a small oval loader's hatch, while the Italeri turret has two large hatches. The turret with two large hatches was the earlier of the two. Here's a nice comparison of 76mm turrets from Academy, Italeri, DML and CMD: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/t23/t23.htm

Quoted Text

I'm trying to get the most out of my money. So, if I can put the 75mm on the Academy and take the Academy turret and put it on an M4A3 I'd be real happy to get two accurate kits.

Be happy! :-)
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hello Bob,
Thanks for jumping in on this subject. I am, indeed very happy.
Thanks as well to all who helped me out in my quest to stamp out my ignorance of "all things Sherman'.
Regards,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP