_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
FEATURE
  Building a Ruined Farm House
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
Marty tried out a new technique and it turned into a full diorama base. It''s just waiting for a few figures and an AFV.

Check it out.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC
Marty,Very cool dio as I have said before. I still can't get over that grass it is amazing. You have me searching around for old furniture. Cheers Kevin
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mary tried out a new technique

Hey, who is Mary? :-) :-) :-)

Quoted Text

I still can't get over that grass it is amazing

Kevin, finding this stuff was like hitting a lottery jackpot. I still cannot get over how well it worked out.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
Oh man - Mary I'm sorry Marty - your profile image shows no signs of Mary - you're all Marty
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:05 AM UTC
Marty

I like the dio alot. The ground work and the wall came out really well. The grass looks great. I have only one question. Is the roof really pink, or is that just the picture?
Harry
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
Harry,

No the roof isn't pink. There are a couple of tiles that look a bit pinkish but for the most part it is in various shades of red. I had to use a flash (even though I hate it) on some of the shots so the colors came out lighter than they are in reality.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
Marty - your woodwork and vines are EXCELLENT.... the nail holes and aging of the wood was particulary good, and is often something overlooked.

My only problem is the roof shingles... they appear to be FAR too large... in scale, wouldn't they be far smaller? They look like plywood sheets rather than shingles.

Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:18 PM UTC
Keith, you are probably right. I had nothing to go by so I sort of eyeballed them and they do seem a bit big. This entire project was just a way for me to test a whole bunch of new techniques and to be honest I never actually intended for it to end up as diorama. I certainly didn't think it would be good enough for a Feature Article but I am glad it did. I have learned a lot during this project and now know what not to do next time.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:54 PM UTC
Your work is excelent. Thanks for sharing this little beauty with us , The roof tiles can be corrected easily, but it's not so necesary.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
Marty: your practice diorama looks great, particularly the grass and wall. A quick question: in your article you just said you painted the wall, did you use a brush or airbrush for that painting?

Thanks,
Keith
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

did you use a brush or airbrush for that painting

Keith,

I used a brush and cheap craft acrylic paints.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thanks Marty. I am in the middle of a diorama and I have been trying to decide how to paint a wall made out of cork as well as a Verlinden building. You have added some additional food for thought.

Keith
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
I must echo all the praises already stated by my fellows here at Armorama. The only criticism I have is in regard to the bricks of the building where the damage has occurred. The way the work has eben scribed, the bricks appear to be almost like a veneer placed over a solid concrete wall. What I mean is the mortar gap between the bricks appears only on the surface and does not appear to continue through the brick wall. Does this make sense? The damage also is very regular giving the appearance of a whole punched through a solid object rather than a hole blasted through an aggregate of individual bricks held by mortar. This is the impression I get from the pics anyway. Otherwise it looks very good.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:40 AM UTC
Scott,

Your point about the mortar lines is valid and has been brought up several weeks ago when I first introduced my project to Armorama community. I contemplated making necessary modifications but at that point in time I was too far into this project. I was afraid that I would possibly do some unnecessary damage to the wall and surrounding area if I started to mess with it. I decided to keep it the way it is but will definitely pay attention next time I build a wall with a big'ol hole in it.
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hey Marty!

I hope you know my comments were not intended to be negative, but encouraging. I didn't see the previous comments on this. I think overall you've done a fabulous job on the piece. It turned out very well and it will only be improved by the addition of some figures or AFVs!

Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you know my comments were not intended to be negative

Yes I know, although all comments are welcome. Things need to be criticized so that they can be improved. I appreciate both, negative and positive comments.
 _GOTOTOP