Italeri Chruch Door Kit
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I was in our hobby store, and found a church door ruin kit from Italeri and purchased it. I assume it's been around for a long time, I've never seen it before (but then again, I've only been doing military building for a couple of years )
It's made of plastic, but on the back side of the pieces, it's hollow! So now what? I need to fill this in big time, any suggestions as what to use as a filler that will bond to the plastic? I was thinking of lining the surfaces with white glue, and purchasing some self hardening clay and just pack the clay in to fill the void.
Would this be the way to go, or is there different ideas out there?
Thanks!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC
Now - that's a lot of filler.
Yes it has been around a long time, and I have seen the end result. I am not familiar with the actual pieces of the kit. So my recommendation is more of 'how to fill a large gap'.

I would actually get a piece of sheet styrene, store purchased or a cut piece of a 'take out' tray or a plastic 'bubble' around a kids toy.
First I would cut to shape, then I would use CA (super glue) and glue it in place and then work with putty to clean up any areas that need attention.
Depending on how ridged the sheet is you may want to hot glue a small 'filler' of packing Styrofoam in first to give the sheet something to rest against.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC
I have seen people fill it in with plaster and then scrib in the stone detail to the inside. Looks nice when it is done.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:28 AM UTC
Good other options
If you go the filler method give it a good long drying time and try to get a vynal type so that it doesn't crack when it dries.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the different options, the plaster seems interesting, as does the method of using styrene to fill in the gaps...I'll play around and see what I can come up with!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:45 PM UTC
I bought the same church wall sections and noticed the same problem. I did what Matrix suggested. It's the fastest and easiest solution, if weight is not an issue.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:57 PM UTC
Dirk (Callsign "Bep")
used this product in his RMG diorama. He also used filler in the back. Over here you can see the (very good) results of his actions : RMG - Bep - Finished (52k beware)

If you have any questions left, don't hesitate to ask Dirk.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi KellyZak. I built both the door and window set from Italeri. For closing off the back side, I used normal model cement and glued plastic sheet to the back. Then I cut the excess off and shaved/filed it to match the pattern coming from the front. As you can see from the first image, the inside walls were left plain, and it doesnt look too bad either. I just built up some rubble to hide the lack of detail at this side. Both sets were finished the same .. I just dont have a picture of the door backside. If you want one I can take another picture for you. I guess how you finish the inside will depend on how you use it in your dio! Good luck.

8)
 _GOTOTOP