_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR 70
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
Viper29, I think they are the same tires on the vehicles. I took your first pic and inverted the colors to be able to see the thread better. I also included the DML tire of yours and outlined the individual threads on the tires in red and green. The green (small thereads in the middle) outlined threads are present on the picture that you presented but are not there on the BRDM-1 tire. If you are going to do a resin tire any way, I would go with the BRDM-2, I think it would be more accurate.

Jose77
A Shilka with a scrachbuild inrerior you say - what a tasty treat, I hope we are going to see some pics of it
soon.
Yeah, the BTR-70 and -80 would have similar interiors, but the BTR-80 is a little larger and has larger hatch between 2nd and 3d wheels - like Jaques said. Also, it probably has a different rear fire wall taking into consideration the different engine configurations of the two. By the way, I found some pics that you might already have.

BTR-80 interior

EDIT: I'm not sure if the sitting of the soldiers is the same on both - I have to check on that.

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
Now that you did that, it does look like the Dragon tire pattern. But the wheel pattern itself is the same, which was all I was really concerned about. The Arsenal wheel is slightly larger than the dragon wheel....but I can work on that to get it to fit. As the Arsenal wheel has far better detail.

How would you think you could go about making the tire so that it looks like is is bulging a little where it touches the ground??? I was thinking of trying to hollow out a tire and inserting something in there to widen the tire a little, with the result of flattening the tire some under it. But not sure how that would work. The other option would be to take an iron or something and slightly melt a flatter bulge to the bottom of the tire, you wouldn't see the flat spot as it would be on the ground.

Best part about it, is I have all 3 Dragon BRDMs, the BRDM 2, BRDM 3 with AT Missiles, and BRDM 2 with SA-9 launcher, so I have 12 tires to experiment with...lol
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
I would try to melt or heat up the tire by putting it on some hot surface and pressing on it. I think this would give the effect, but it may just ruin the tread pattern - I have never tried this myself.

Which BRDM-2 with AT missiles are you talking about? Is it the SAGGER, if so, I didn't know DML produced them?
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC
Viper ..... There is a producer of resin tires for the BRDM's I will have to go thru my stash and find them. They are made to fit the DML rims. My kits are in boxes preparing for a move. I will look tomorrow if you like. I had the same thing happen to my BRDM with the tire splitting. I swore I would find a replacement.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
Its not a BRDM2 with the AT missiles, its a BRDM 3.....the only BRDM 3 they make I believe.

there is the BRDM 2 with the 14.5mm machine gun in the turret, then the BRDM 2 with the SA-9 turret, and a BRDM 3 with what I believe are AT5 Spandrels. Not that there is much of a difference between the BRDM 2 and BRDM 3.

I may have to try heating up a tire or 2, to see if I can get a slight bulge in it.....since I have 3 kits....I have 12 tires to play with....so if I ruin a couple...I still have lots to make molds of.

Hey Tiger...if you do find out how makes them let me know....if you have to go digging thru a bunch of stuff you have already packed...I wouldn't worry about it too much.....I will probably go and cast my own anyway, as I want to get into casting a little bit anyway. The tires just give me a project to do!!!!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:10 PM UTC
ok,

I know that 2 companies at least make BRDM-2 wheels...panzershop and Tiger Models. They are both based on the DML wheel, just in resin form. Noone, that I know of, makes either a more correct "bulged" low-pressure tire, nor a BRDM-1 tire.

the DML BRDM-3 is this...

and actually, this vehicle is NOT known as the BRDM-3...it is either a 9P137 or a 9P148...the AT launcher version did not get a "special" name like the SA-9 Gaskin ADA version.

The "real" BRDM-3 is a prototype BTR-80A based scout vehicle. It is meant for long-duration, long range scouting behind enemy lines and has less troop space for more ammo/fuel space.

A trick to get the wheels to look better without trying to "bulge" them (which, in my opinion, looks too out of scale...like flat tires) is to grind resin wheels down flat in one spot ...I think it ends up looking pretty close to real, it simulates weight, but does not make things look like they need air...

Best pictures I have of this is here:

http://saammodels.tripod.com/companies/SP_Designs/BTR80/2S23/index.htm
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
Viper Jacques is correct the Mfg for the resin wheels I have for the BRDM 2 is .......
PanzerShop product # PS35A305.
So if you get into a bind molding your own you have an out. Be aware they are meant to be used with DML's hubs. So don't lose them. Good luck with your attempt at casting your own.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC
Got an answer, in part, to the BRDM wheel discussion:

My friend found a German source stating that the BRDM-1 (SPW-40P) tires are 1200 x 18 while the BRDM-2 (SPW-40P2) are 1300 x 18. I am assuming millimeters here. This would explain why there seems to be no crossover of tires...
 _GOTOTOP