_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
First Model in 12 years.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:00 PM UTC
Here's a few pics of my first in many moons. I'ts still a work in progress, as you'll notice many things unpainted, etc. Be nice. This was an OOB build, with very few additions.
John

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
Verry nice indeed

I know how hard it is to start again (i did after 15 years).

Question: is there not to much slack on the tracks? Not that I am a expert
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC
I thought so too, but other than taking a link out, I didn't have any options. I think that on the next one I'll go with a seperate link setup.

Thanks for the comment though, I Love constructive criticism. Maybe I'll short track it anyway.
John
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
That's very nice ! I like it very much !
What technique did you use to dirty it ? pastels, paint... ?
What looks a bit strange to me is the way the tank is dirtied on the side : the back is very dirty,
and that looks very understandable... but the front looks very clean. I understand the fact that mud
will rather "jump" on the back end of the tank but from what I've seen the sides tend to look dusty...
But maybe I'm saying something stupid !!!!! That's more than possible given my little knowledge.
Anyway, I like your model very much and I hope mine turn out as well !
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
Nice job, Dubanka! Not bad for such a long layoff...not bad , period. The addition of the wood barrier on the hull is a nice touch.
The tracks ideally would show little to no sag on a Sherman with rubber block track if it was properly maintained. Problem is that there is just that much extra track on the bands. I ran into the same thing with the M48A3 kit. I actually cut 2 links per side off and got a better look.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:40 PM UTC
I knew I could count on you guys to help.

I'm gonna work on the track. I wasn't crazy about it to start, but you guys convinced me.

The whole model/weathering is a work in progress. There is much more to do before I call it done. I was going off of M1 tank experience with the front weathering. They usually just slide over the mud, etc and don't really retain as much as the suspension does.

I used a home concoction for the mud, etc. It's basically a mix of a little dirt, potting soil, craft acrylics, PVA, and whatever else I could find. I made it kinda soupy at first, then let it dribble into the nooks/crannies. after it dried, I gave it a little more color, and highlighted a little. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep that color though. It's a little too red for me.

The bags on the side of the turret are the hot glue gun copies I posted about earlier.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/3062&page=1
Thanks again for the comments, and keep 'em up!

John
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
Yeah John,

Great technique that hot glue method of yours, I have showed it at my club and the guy's just could not believe that it worked.

But it did, whiteout any problems.

John, I hade a verlinden wounded soldier on a blanket and I also copied with your system, PERFECT !

If you have other tips, post them my friend, I love alternative way’s besides those costly “on-the-market-forced-on-materials” or techniques

#:-) #:-)

I just realized, I am a LT now (Hail to the leader ....... ahum)
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What looks a bit strange to me is the way the tank is dirtied on the side : the back is very dirty,
and that looks very understandable... but the front looks very clean. I understand the fact that mud
will rather "jump" on the back end of the tank but from what I've seen the sides tend to look dusty...

I've noticed (M1 experience here) that if you go fast enough, mud starts a flyin' and there is no way that the sides stay clean. I'll check some period pics again.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
what a nice job, i just started to build agin afetr 5 years it takes time to get your magic back, but this sherman is really nice
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 07:32 AM UTC
Very nice job there Dubanka. I like the mudding job.
The only thing I would fix is to drill out the barrel a little bit. In the first pic you can see it's plugged.
Great job for such a long lay-off. :-)
 _GOTOTOP