_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DML BMP 2. Some help please.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
OK,

Did a search and found a little about DML's BMP 2. Mostly that they seem not to be held in very high regards!

Got one the other day and took a quick look in the box. Although it appears to be somewhat simplified (ie number of pieces) it looks like the usual DML quality; good.

I would like some opinions of the kit (please, not "It sucks!" ) and if there are problems what they are. Who makes photetch and is it worth using, etc.

I'm not familiar with these vehicles in real life and have only a couple reference photos. So anything is appreciated!

Steve
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 07:46 AM UTC
The reason that the DML BMP-1 and BMP-2 are not held in high regard is that the modeling experts denounced the kit as having the "wrong" angles here and there. It also has shap similarities to the Esci/AMT kits since the same mold maker cut both kits' molds.

As far as a build, I've built all four (DML BMP-1 & 2, kits #3503 and #3504; Esci BMP-1 & 2, kits #5035 and #3058). There are a couple of other DML BMPs (Afghanistan BMP-2E (3508) and Iraqi BMP-1 (3528)) and Italeri reboxed both the DML BMP-1 and BMP-2 as did AMT/Ertl with the Esci kits.

The DML kits built up OK, but the fit is fidgety. They over-sized the hinges in an attempt to make them moveable (bad idea with no interior). Also the various hull angles must be checked and re-checked during assembly to insure the panels all fit well.

The Esci kits are rather simplified and most of the detail that DML makes separate are molded on on the Esci kits. It does make for an easier build, but not as nice looking as a detailed DML. I hear that the best one to get is the Afghanistan BMP-2E since it includes the mine plow and some updated parts that correct some earlier DML BMP-2 errors.

Eduard makes a PE set for the Italeri BMP-2 and, of course, can be used on the DML kits.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The reason that the DML BMP-1 and BMP-2 are not held in high regard is that the modeling experts denounced the kit as having the "wrong" angles here and there. It also has shap similarities to the Esci/AMT kits since the same mold maker cut both kits' molds.

Eduard makes a PE set for the Italeri BMP-2 and, of course, can be used on the DML kits.

Thanks!

Since I have few references, guess I won't notice the wrond angles too much! :-)

Did you use the Eduard etch set with these? Any opinions on it?

Steve
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
I didn't really notice the 'wrong angles' and did not worry too much about them.

The Eduard set is one of the older ones, and has pretty standard stuff. Tool clasps, some 'should be round' grab handles, and the rear fenders/vents tracks while swimming, firing port covers..IR light frame, light mounts, smoke launcher mounts.. the usual stuff.

I don't remember if it has engine deck screening or not.

Model Point makes very nice barrels, missile containers, smoke launcher tubes and antennae bases.

Armor Track makes a set of individual link tracks sprockets and roadwheels (I think there are roadwheels in there..).
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC

One thing I will leave off is the missle container. It's not present on my references and is really just a hunk of undetailed plastic in the kit.

Steve
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 04:56 PM UTC
I did a build up on this and there are a number of areas where it can be improved. If you require info let me know I'll try to help in the mean time here are some ref shots:

AND HERE

HTH

Jack
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 07:57 PM UTC
[quote]I did a build up on this and there are a number of areas where it can be improved. If you require info let me know I'll try to help in the mean time here are some ref shots:

Capt. Jack.
Nice looking BMP. The pic is a little dark, but looks nice!
I see you did several of the things I did to some of mine, but I wonder if you have a text version (or would/have time to go into more detail) about the work you did on the rear hull plate and the roof ventilator.
I had confined most of my work to the front hull and hinge areas.

Mike
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I did a build up on this and there are a number of areas where it can be improved. If you require info let me know I'll try to help in the mean time here are some ref shots:

Jack,

Looks nice thoyught the completed pgoto is a bit dark. Great camo.

I see you replaced some hatch covers. Were the kit parts underdetailed in this area?

Steve
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:53 PM UTC
The Armor Track Models track set does come with resin corrected road wheels. It is a wonderful track set that will really make the DML BMP look good.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Armor Track Models track set does come with resin corrected road wheels. It is a wonderful track set that will really make the DML BMP look good.

I'm about to be late for class, but i think I remember reading somewhere that the drive sprocket still has the wrong number of spokes in the Armortrack set..

Or am I hallucinating again..

Can't you just smell the blue?
My computer keyboard is melting..

"Too much LDS in the 60's"
yeah, I typed LDS on purpose..

Mike
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:39 PM UTC
I'm not sure. I will have to look when I get home and I will let you know.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 05:48 PM UTC
I'll try to come up with some more info; photos text and details

Jack
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
I've got both the Concord BMP book and the Osprey New Vanguard BMP book, plus all four (DML & Esci BMP-1 & -2) BMPs. What is it you need confirmed?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Major Rob,
I thought that I remembered that maybe I heard somewhere that the Armor Track resin sprockets also have the incorrect number of spokes, like the kit parts. 5 instead of 6 or was it 6 instead of 5.. whatever...

I thought that they were both incorrect.

maybe.. (grin) "We don' need no steenkin' smileys.."

Mike
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
ooopppsss... now that I'm home from class, the DML BMP1 kit has the incorrect 6 spoke drive sprocket and the Armor Track tracks have the correct 5 spoke design.

My reference pics (Concord books) for the BMP2 do not show a good roadwheel shot, but their drawings for the Indian models in the BMP3 book look like 6 spokers..I'm not saying that's right, just that is how they drew them. I believe this to be incorrect looking at the amount of sprocket shoving in the pictures.

The DML BMP2 kit has 6 spoke sprockets as well .

The Eduard Set for the BMP2, Set #35 005 (quite ancient by now..Copyright 1992!) has pretty much what I guessed it did, except there are more details for the turret sight covers than I had thought. It consists of 32 numbered parts, but some of these , like the smoke launcher bases, are multiples.

Too bad Wings and Wheels didn't do a BMP2 book..their BMP1 vol is amazing as is the Hind volume I picked up at AMPS awaiting the release of the Trumpeter 1/35th Hind.. drooling...

Andrej Marchlewski's BMP 1 book is a close second in my mind, both of these leave the Concord book in the dust.. if only HE'D do a BMP2 book as well..

Does anyone know if there are more in Marchlewski's series of books?

Mike
 _GOTOTOP