Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quicklook: Dragon AAV-7A1 USMC
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
OK, this kit is 1/72 scale commonly referred to as "Braille scale" due to its small size.

The Dragon AAV-7A1 USMC Mogadishu 1993 is kit number 7221. It includes three plastic sprues, diecast metal upper and lower hull and a set of vinly tracks. Several screws are included to secure the upper and lower hull.

The spure layout shows various unused parts like the early style commander's cupola. This version builds into the upgunned weapons station.

All hatches are molded separately as well as the top cargo hatches. No interior is provided, but the plastic rear ramp has detailing on the inside and out.

Pioneer tools like the ax, pick ax and handle and spare track link are molded onto the diecast hull (no sanding off here). Only the shovel is molded separately.

The only optional parts are opened or closed propellor jets or deployed or stored trim vane (surf board). The track set is different than the one that comes with the Dragon Bradley kits. The AAV-7A1 includes the older triangular track pads and the Dragon Bradley includes the square "bigfoot" tracks. This can open up options when modeling other variants.

The kit includes markings for both a 3-color NATO camouflaged USMC track labeled as "Mogadishu 1993" and a desert sand "Operation Restore Hope Somalia 1993". Perhaps Dragon doesn't realize that Mogadishu is in Somailia.

This looks to be a good addition to my 1/72 scale modern US armor collection. I will probably get another one of the other variant that looks to be available.
McBain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the review!

It's a shame the hull is diecast. I know they've re-used parts from their pre-made diecast range, but for modellers it isn't ideal. I've heard somewhere the Henschel King tiger had a metal hull originally but that they've now started manufacturing it with a plastic hull. Lets hope they do the same here!!
 _GOTOTOP