_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hummer M242 Bushmaster
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:30 AM UTC
I just picked up a hummer with the M242 Brushmaster version. Has anyone every put this together? any problems with it? any hints or tricks that might be helpful in putting this thing together?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC
I haven't built that kit but I have built an italeri hummer. I am still pretty new at this and the only causion I would have it to not oversand the parts or the fit for the whole thing will be thrown off. Hopefully someone with a little more experience can help you a little more.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
The model kit isn't difficult to assemble. There are some finer details that you could change and improved upon - much belabored by other fans of the HMMWV. The biggest bone of contention with the kit isn't its assembly quality - it's the fact that it represents a prototype vehicle that was never accepted into service. If you can get past that fact, it's a fun model to build.

Gunnie
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
marcel
that would be a great help if you can email me some photos. is there any touch up work i need to do to the engine bay like wiring or anything and what about the interior?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:31 AM UTC
My article for the review contest is basically a run down of all the Italeri HMMWVs, which include the Revell of Germany M998/1038 and the Tamiya Bushmaster. The article basically elaborates a thread regarding HMMWVs we had a while ago but was comparing the three main manufacturers: Italeri, Esci and Academy.

I generally like the Italeri HMMWV and the Tamiya Bushmaster is a neat enough kit. My kit is an old original boxing. Since Tamiya recently reissued this kit, the chassis may have some of the modifications made to more recently released Italeri kits. Through my research, I found there are three variations of Italeri HMMWV chassis. Unfortunately, one of the changes made an item that was correct wrong on some HMMWVs.

Eduard makes a PE set for it, I have it at home and can give you a run down of the benefits.

P.S. Check some pictures in my motorpool album, there are great reference shots of the M966 TOW carrier. The detail shots of this truck will help you see where the Bushmaster Hummer chassis needs to be improved.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:03 AM UTC
The Italeri interiors are pretty poor. I recommend that you keep the doors closed and use the PE dashboard and instruments for the parts that are visible. Unless you have interior photos of the Bushmaster prototype, I don't know how you would know what is right and what is wrong. For any other version, there are plenty of photo references in the gallery here (check Rob's Motorpool, and I have also put in quite a few interior shots).

Basically, the whole interior needs to be corrected. The drivers' seat is handled well by the PE base. The right front seat requires that the battery box under the cushion be rebuilt, and both back seats must be corrected for angle and shape. The heater blower under the right front dash is missing, and the dash itself is too thin (use a strip of sheet plastic to get the PE dash to the right thickness). The sound insulation on the floor and side wells is not there and the wood deck on the center 'hump' needs to be added. Seat belt retractors and a radio mounting rack (with or without radios, I have never seen a vehicle without the rack) finish up the most blatant omissions. Obviously a tall order. I have begun the process on not one, but three, models (fool!), and some of the fit and shapes are tricky.

Good luck!
armyfiremn
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:29 PM UTC
i forgot to add i got the tamiya version. one thing i'm wondering about and i saw a post about it somewhere is that in order to make some pretty clear headlights it's best to use 5 minute epoxy? rob thanks for offering the pics of the hmmvvs but i got awhole post of them to look at. one more thing i'm thinking of buying the hummer with the avenger version later on any problems puting that one together with the seams or anything and what about this one from tamiya?
PeaceMaker
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:45 PM UTC
I just recently finished putting together an Academy 1025 kit that I picked up in Korea. I had major difficulties with the seams matching up with doors to roof and body.
Anyone have any recommendations for some decent decal sets for this?
I'm trying to make it look similar to my HMMWV that I had as a Platoon Leader in Korea and trying to figure out how to do the bumper numbers correctly (I don't trust myself to hand paint that small).
I'm not sure if I trust the decal set that it came with.
Any thoughts?
thanks
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 03:04 PM UTC
I have built the italeri and I have a couple academy kits waiting to be built. I Enjoyed building the italeri but to be honest I was not looking for a super accurate model, just a fun kit and that it was. I have picked up 3 academy kits on e-bay (the troop carrier, the TOW version, and the ambulance) and I must say they look like they are %110 better. Now I haven't built it yet to be fair but it looks like the detail and quality from the tires up are much better. I am finishing up a couple little projects then I am going to hit the troop carrier. (I think, maybe the ambulance )
 _GOTOTOP