_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DML's Kettenkrad? Anyone?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:00 AM UTC
I'm almost done with this one. I had to put it aside after I lost momentum. For now it's painted Tamiya German Gray overall. I'm thinking about repainting it since it looks too dark and all detail is lost. I wanted to get this kit ever since I saw one of them on "Saving Private Ryan".

Does anybody else have this kit? I tried searching the forums but it seems that I'm the only one who has it. It's typical DML so that means individual track links (two tiny pieces per link) and some fit problems on the engine cover and exhaust. The front wheel ends up a few millimeters off a level surface so I think it should be displayed on at least a simple base that will hide this. It has a lot of parts for a vehicle that is not much bigger than a motorcycle with a sidecar.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
I have mine with the Puchen (sp?) gun/launcher. I have put most of it together... painted it field gray and it looks fine... I would say that or German Yellow... I have not put the front wheel on and am waiting for this weekend (wife gone) for me to do the track links, etc. I like the kit a lot. I intend to build a little base and put it ona road with a motorcycle and a couple of extra figures.. including a Russian partisan in the bushed waiting for a chance to snipe...

What do you want to know? Those track links are so damn small!!
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 01:12 PM UTC
It's a very nice kit IMHO. It's a very interesting little vehicle. I envy those who have the 1:1 version in their garages .

German Yellow might be a nice color for this. I have enough Tamiya Dark Yellow left over in the spray can for this one.

I want to know whether it's a quirk of the kit that makes the front wheel's legs shorter than it should be. I found that if I do not attach the pads to the bottom run of the tracks the wheel will just be level with the tracks. I've also read the Fine Scale Modeller review (forgot what issue) of this particular kit and the reviewer had the same problem with the wheel.

Don't get me wrong , though. If I had the extra cash lying around I'd get another one of these cute little buggers. The price is a bit prohibitive (around $11 here and I only earn about $360 a month) so I need the girlfriend's support if I want to get one .

BTW, I heard that the Puppchen included in the kit used the same mold as the old kit DML issued a few years back.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 04:34 PM UTC
Jeepney:

I've also read reviews, in the Tamiya Magazine & Military in Scale, where the reviewer had the same problem with the front wheel. It must be a inherent fault with the kit. And yes , the Puppchen was an earlier release.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys! I thought that only I had this problem. I'll have to read up on diorama ideas if I want to put this on display .
 _GOTOTOP