_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
2 weeks and counting....the pressure is on
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
With just about two weeks left until the nationals in Pheonix, and I am desperately trying to get this little dio knocked out. Just thought I would share my progress thus far. The scene depicts a 251/C with crew and some infantry lounging next to a barn. The kit is the Italeri re-pop of the ESCI kit with a lot of scratchbuilt and added goodies. I still have some work to do on it. The barn is for gamers. Its a Civil War era barn, but looks like it will fit in nicely once complete. The figures I am using are the excellent Preiser offerings. Hands down these are some of the sweetest figures in braille scale I have found. I have to go slower now since I am missing part of my left finger... due a nice little slip-up on my part last night. Any-hoo... here it is minus the figures. Let me know what you think so far. Thanks folks. "Q"

wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Red4

Did you say this was 1/72nd scale ? Very well done. A great deal of detail for so small a scale. If I may point out a couple of things. On the driver's side front fender, you may want to add a bracket of some type to hold down the spare track. The only other thing I would do is to secure the case of grenades thats along the right inside wall.
Those are just small things. I hope it don't sound like I'm nit picking. This piece has the look and detail of a much larger scale. You've done a great job. I hope to see it when its completed. Good luck at the nationals.
Wolfsix
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:39 AM UTC
Good luck with your dio at the Nationals. Hope you do well there.

As a possible helpful note for you, please consider taking a look at your first pic of the 251 and noting the track. There is a definite step in the link rather than a flow over the road wheels.

Again, good luck.

Steve
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:44 AM UTC
Matt,
I look forward to seeing this in Phoenix. I also am struggling to get something done for the contest.

Here is my constructive criticism.
It is on the composure of the dio itself. My concern is that the barn is overpowering the halftrack due to its size. One thing that I have always liked in a dio is some kind of balance. Maybe a large tree on the other side.
This may depend on what the figures are doing.
Just my 2 cents.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words folks. As I said in my initial post, I still have a lot to do to get where it needs to be...ie, the step inthe track, hold down brackets for the track etc. Thanks for noticing those items mentioned. I might put a tree opposite the barn to somewhat balance the scene. The figures will be relaxing by the barn and also on the small rise by the 251. Hopefully I can get this thing done. I have a lot to do and a lot of other things in the works as well. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll see some of you in Pheonix. "Q"
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
That barn looks way too tall. I'd cut off the field stone base and add another beam across the door. This will also make it look less American.
Hope you get it done for Phoenix, I'll be looking for it.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
looking good only thing I'd say is look at the front corners looks like you can see the join between both parts
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Nice job for the scale.
I like the layout and agree with the barn size.

Since this is going to a contest I'll get picky on it. The left side track on top isn't lined up correctly. I would add a touch of 'stuff' to cover it. The dark color on top of the seats should be added to the sides of the seats (in back). Lastly this may be just the pictures, the logs on the front appear to be very light in color.

The tarps are great, the camo is well done, I like the shape of the layout and the projected hill. This'll turn out well.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hey guys,
I took your comments to heart and corrected most of the issues thus far. IU still need to add some brackets for the spare track on the fender. I also have to do some stuff to the enterior. Here is a couple more pics of the layout. I have added a tree from some roots. I'll add just a few leaves for effect. Most of the figures are minus heads at this point as I just wanted to get an idea as to how they were going to look. I need to add some filler behind the halftrack. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks again for the input. "Q"

_GOTOTOP