_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Atak zimmerit?????
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
I am building the Dragon Panther late ausf A and I am considering using the ATAK zimmeirt kit.. Does anyone have experience with this brand?? Any suggestions or comments???

I have also considered using the Cavalier brand, but it is made for the Italeria kit and doesn't look like it will fit.

Again, any comments or suggestions are appreciated..
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am building the Dragon Panther late ausf A and I am considering using the ATAK zimmeirt kit.. Does anyone have experience with this brand?? Any suggestions or comments???

I have also considered using the Cavalier brand, but it is made for the Italeria kit and doesn't look like it will fit.

Again, any comments or suggestions are appreciated..

I have the Atak set and it is gorgeous. Test fitted one panel and it was a perfect match.

I used the Cavalier stuff made for the Tamiya ausf G and also liked it ALOT. I think the ATAK stuff looks nicer but the Cavalier seems a little more durable, as the Atak stuff is a little brittle. I will never, ever use putty if Cavalier or Atak is available, and it looks wayyyy better to me than PE zim as well....

My advice is to get the Atak set as it is made for your model, but be sure to get the correct zim pattern, there are 8 or 9 different types. Atak made the pattern I needed to do a HJ 12th Panzer SS vehicle as on the boxart.

HTH

Scott Gentry
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi, I agree with didiums. The Atack stuff is very nice. Have only used one kit on a Panther, but it went on very well. If I were to say anything bad about it, it that it's so thin that sometimes when you remove it from their 'sheets' of the excess resin, they can sometimes come apart. Which is okay, as you just fit the pieces up against each other when you put them on the vehicle.

Also have used the Cavalier Zimmerit too, but I think the Atack stuff may be a little thinner.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys.. I will order it
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
Atak is good, though a bit expensive.

Personally I don't like resin Zimm set make specifically for one kit. I use Cavalier generic pattern set.

It may take more time than the specific set, but save a lot of time compared to the putty way. I think with some practise, the putty way gives the best result. But we always make compromise, and Cavalier are good enough for me.

With the generic set, you have to cut them yourself. I use them on big areas, and use putty on small areas. A generic set is actually enough for 3 vehicles, so if I screw up somehow, I have lots of spare to work with.

Actually for big areas, you can join small pieces together. Just use Gunze Surfacer or epoxy to fill up the gaps.

And for PE Zimm, it is just a joke, don't look like the real thing at all. (well, it is ok for 1/72 though)
 _GOTOTOP