Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quicklook: Dragon Tiger I Ausf. E w/zimmerit
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:30 AM UTC
Another good 1/72 by Dragon. Unlike their SturmTiger, this kit does not include any diecast pieces. It does include the same pre-formed brass exhaust covers and a real metal tow cable. Tracks are the same set of vinyl.

The kit represents a Tiger I Ausf. E late production and has some nicely molded zimmerit surfaces on the front and rear of the lower hull, the sides of the upper hull, the forward glacias plate, rear hull plate and turret sides and mantlet.

There are several tool items molded onto the upper hull surfaces but several pieces are molded separately as well.

This kit looks to be almost as good as Revell's Tiger kit. Not having to deal with applying zimmerit myself makes this kit more appealing to me. From the parts layout plan in the instructions, it looks like the main A sprue was retooled.

Another well molded kit that I look forward to building.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
hi robin do you have a picture to share with us?

I didn't see any of it. I can't wait to see if the zimmerit looks good.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
Sorry Juul, no pictures yet. The "Why no zimmerit" post jogged my memory that I hadn't posted a quicklook inside the box yet. I haven't even given this kit a place in the Braille scale build pile yet.

I try to do these "quicklooks" so that folks have an idea of what's inside the box before they buy the kit. They are not intended to be comprehensive reviews or build reports.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick review Sabot,this is what I have been waiting for.I have the late Tiger I from RoG,but the thought of putting on the Zimmerite in tiny scales does not appeal to me.The Dragon kit sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks and have a good one

Mark
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Here are some pics of my Dragon 1/72 TigerI in progress (along with others)
My thoughts on this kit is that it is a very nice kit, but it lacks the turret tracks, which I am not sure I can do without..

_GOTOTOP