_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Merkava
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hi folks
I think I might be getting a merkava III this week. How about addon tracks does anybody make them for this thing.? And anything I should know about the Kit Academy one. Oh one more do all the Academy kits come with them little rubber tires?
Thanks Folks.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 08:20 PM UTC
Jeff---I am not a Merkava man, but I am curious as to the purpose that the series of chains along the lower portion of the turret. I see this displayed on several news clips. Does anyone know why they have these chains?
thanks
DJ
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hey Jeff,
Ibelieve Fruil mkes a MK3 set of tracks definitely they have one for the mk2. and yes the all the Merkava kits I have from aAcademy have the Little rubber tires.AS far as kit problems it depends on what you want to build. If you looking for the prototype then the Academy kit is pretty good. If you want any of the active duty kits you'lll need to get one OF AEF conversions or cromwell's( I've never seen Comwell's stuff so I can't recommend it.) check this URL for steel wheels jeff.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/claude_il

Josh Weingarten
aKA shiryon
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff---I am not a Merkava man, but I am curious as to the purpose that the series of chains along the lower portion of the turret. I see this displayed on several news clips. Does anyone know why they have these chains?
thanks
DJ

These are designed to detonate RPGs before hitting, sort of like stand-off armour.

On the tires, apparently the latest Merkava 3's have tires the same colour as the wheel. I'll try and find out where I found this piece of info, to either confirm or remover it.

Cheers,
Linz
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 08:43 PM UTC
EAWWW The Merkava Kit, My Favorite Subject, especially since I just finished building an Academy Kit of a Merk-II. And BOY do I have a REVIEW to write up on it. And YES the Chain Curtrain is designed to detonate incoming RPG rounds before they hit the turrent itself. Slo look for my review on this kit later in the week. Good Luck on your Merk Kit. I have just about completed mine. And it came out Okay. BUT I really wished it had been a Tamiya
Kit.

DAGGER-1
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
Try the following link to view the all steel wheels on the Merk 3 and4

Take a look at the other folders as well.

Josh WEingarten
aKA shiryon :-) :-) :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

These are designed to detonate RPGs before hitting, sort of like stand-off armour.

On the tires, apparently the latest Merkava 3's have tires the same colour as the wheel. I'll try and find out where I found this piece of info, to either confirm or remover it.

Cheers,
Linz

Linz--appreciate the response. I wonder how well the chain process works? We used chain link fencing in Vietnam to detonate RPGs. Worked like a charm. Of course, the fence didn't look too good after a detonation, but it sure stopped that baby.
thanks again
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thanks Guys I got the Academy Merkava III . But after reading Daggers post I hope I did the right thing.
Oh well I will make it work. . Dagger did you change Those white metal balls and chains over to regular chain or did you leave them?
Catskinner
Visit this Community
Israel
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:11 PM UTC
Jeff, if you'll go to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/claude_il/lst?.dir=/My+Documents/Models/Merkava+2+Academy+Model&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

you will see there an acrobat PDF file I created explaining the purpose of the chains, the problems with the Academy original parts, the alternatives and how to make your own set for less than 3 US$.

Claude

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff, if you'll go to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/claude_il/lst?.dir=/My+Documents/Models/Merkava+2+Academy+Model&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

you will see there an acrobat PDF file I created explaining the purpose of the chains, the problems with the Academy original parts, the alternatives and how to make your own set for less than 3 US$.

Claude

Thank you Catskinner,and I don't remember welcoming you on here so Welcome aboard. And That is the way to go on the balls and chain .I did savet he Pdf for latter use. You might want to put that article up here on the site. And a great job on The merkava II nice detail and color,plus those balls and chains look like the ones from the pictures that I have of the Merkava from IDF at War series.
thanks again
 _GOTOTOP