_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Site Idea: Different kind of Contest
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC

Hi,

I have an idea for Armorama that may, or may not, be appreciated.

I really like the idea of having contests that encouracge people to submit articles and photos of their models to the gallery. What I was thinking was to have another type of contest that would be a trivia contest or even a random name drawing.

Now, I'm not talking about major prizes like those offered in the above examples. Maybe something less expensive like a Squadron In Action book or a 1/35 scale figure, or on-topic paperback, a few magazines, etc.

You could even have a donation by Armorama users for the prizes. There are over 1,00 now so if only 25% gave $1, that would be enough for many months of prizes. Or, people could donate the prizes.

As for shipping, the winner could agree to pay for the actual cost or it could get figured into the prizes themselves. If the winner dosen't agree to pay shipping, there could be a runner-up.

Like I mentioned, the contest could be a trivia question related to the hobby. I don't think the point would be to make something that is impossible to figure out, but may make someone have to go look-up the answer, etc. Or, it could just be a random drawing.

I think the one caveat would be to make sure the person entering is a reistered user. Maybe even have to have been registered for two months (for example) so that people just aren't registering to try and win.

There could be one contest per month, just like the shootout.

I have no idea if this is a good idea, if others would be interested or any legalities. I do think that with the quality of folks on the site, this could go pretty smooth and be lots of fun too.

Steve

Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
sounds good to me Steve.
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
This sounds like fun !
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC
I really like the idea, becuase honestly, I would be way out of my league to put picture of my models on this site, though I only have one and a half that aren't model cars, but oh well.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
For a while we were playing a trivia game referred to as "Stump Sabot". They gave up when they realized the amount of useless knowledge I had crammed into my head.

I think what you are talking about parallels the "User of the Month" award (click on the mushroom-looking medal next to my rank). We got a prize for being the user of the month. I got the first one, a $20 gift certificate to MilitaryHobbies.com, Jim got the second one. The nominations and voting are going on right now for the July runners. This one encourages users to actively participate in the group, give help where needed, etc.

I was really honored to get the award, but it wasn't what spurred me to assist others.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
For the record, I did not get a $20 gift certificate.

I will give this some thought. Unfortunately with leaving for Nats, All the contests ending tonight, and personal things I am really buried.

Thanks for the ideas though. My biggests concern about this kind of thing is just getting the time. I am not sure the Armor Shootout will continue past the next one though. Mission Models is no longer advertising on the site (or planning on continuing sponsoring that contest).

Cheers,
Jim
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the record, I did not get a $20 gift certificate.

I will give this some thought. Unfortunately with leaving for Nats, All the contests ending tonight, and personal things I am really buried.

Thanks for the ideas though. My biggests concern about this kind of thing is just getting the time. I am not sure the Armor Shootout will continue past the next one though. Mission Models is no longer advertising on the site (or planning on continuing sponsoring that contest).

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

Sorry to hear about the Shootout possibly not continuing. I was hoping to enter once I got some digital pix of a couple new projects.

As I mentioned, a new contest could be financed by the site users so sponsorship might be unnecessary. And, a contest of this nature might be appealing to everyone since its not really a 'competition' as Sancho mentions above.

But the time thing, I sure understand where you are coming from. Thanks for considering it and let me know if I could help in any way!

Steve
flakdog
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:19 PM UTC
Let's do it.
 _GOTOTOP