_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Is it just me?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 03:59 AM UTC
I have started modelling again after many years. I have bought a couple of models to parctice on. My first the Horch 4x4 I really like this model (is it discountinued?) but becasue it is "practice" I kind of didn't put my heart into it. I am avoiding building the models I really like; PZ iv etc because I don't want to botch them up. Is this wierd and counter productive. should I approach every model as if I were going to enter a contest? Hope this makes sense. In short how do I stay motivated building a opel blitz when I could be building a tiger :-)
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
Here's my .02 cents.
I'm in the same boat as you, I just started up after 12 years.
I'm sure I've lost some skills, but I've gained some ideas and tricks that I previously didn't know (Armorama plug...)
There are many modelers that are much, much better than I, but I build models to have fun. (If part x is .0035 of a mm off, I don't care)

I say build the tiger, have fun with it, and gain your skills back....don't try to run with the pro's just yet.

John
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

should I approach every model as if I were going to enter a contest? Hope this makes sense. In short how do I stay motivated building a opel blitz when I could be building a tiger :-)

I'm not sure I'm understanding your reasoning here. I think you should build your models to have fun and enjoy yourself.

If you want to build a Tiger, build a Tiger! Why practice on something you may not be interested in? I doubt you'll work as hard on that Opel as you would the Tiger.

If you are worried about kits going out of production, consider buying several if you can afford them.

Personally, I would rather learn by building better engineered kits that look good OOB rather than trying to pick up basic skills on a kit that even experienced modellers would find frustrating.

As far as building everything as if it's for a contest, I think you should build so that YOU are plesed with the results! Maybe at first you don't need extensive aftermarket products and super detailing. Then maybe that will change as you gain experience with your basic techniques.

Don't be intimidated by the great models you see in magazines and on the internet. The people building those had to start somewhere too.

One thing I used to do was look at the photos of the finished model on the side of the DML boxes. I thought, wow, I'd like to make my kit look that good. Now, I look at those photos and say, hey, I can make this thing look much nicer than that! :-)

I think the best thing to do would be to build what you really want, try something new on each project, don't be afraid to experiment, and you will learn quickly.

Hey, if that first Tiger doesn't come out how you imagine, maybe the third or fourth will!

Steve
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you should build your models to have fun and enjoy yourself.

If you want to build a Tiger, build a Tiger!

Steve is right. I recently restarted modeling after 15 years and as a example have never builded a diorama before.

My first model after those 15 years was a Sherman, why? because I like Sherman’s, and I must admit, if you have read some of my earlier postings you may have noticed that I repainted it for the third time, learning extra every time I retry, I don't like redoing stuff, but hey ... it part of this game #:-)

For my second model I have chosen a willy's jeep in a Mountain diorama, why? because I have seen a docu on tv about this magnificent versatile vehicle. Although I never did a dio before I did, now the dio is almost done and I have to restart modeling (dropped it )
Hey, I never painted figures before! and I need to for my dio, I eve ordered some expensive Verlinden figurines, but This week I tried my first spare head using oils (not a masterpiece but I like it )

I have about 30-40 ideas written in a little book of project I would like to build, these include vignettes, dio's and even boxed dio's.

I don't have a clue how to build them, but finding out how and learning, that is why I do this hobby.

Oke, I probably build a horrible model, completely wrong in colors, some stupid errors I have not corrected, SO WHAT??? You can always start again.

A model out of production?? maybe by one company, but you can bet that another will put them in their catalog

Have fun, I do (although sometimes I want to throw my model around the room, talking about battle damage :-) )
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC
No Padrino, it ain´t just you!
I started again three dios ago and with all of them, had this "I´m not worth it" -feeling...like I should let the better builders make the better kits.
Money is always an object, but seriously, why not pay two euros for a NICE Mosin-Nagant rifle but make instead a replica using a Kar38 as a base...
The fear of spoiling a magnificent piece feels ridiculous. I hate to say this but I have NEVER spoiled anything so badly it couldn´t be recovered. I have a certain fear to start a painting or drawing on an ARTIST quality paper and I often draw like I had a malfunction in my central nerve system on this material. Forget about dynamic and strong drawing. The best works I´ve ever made are originally drawn on a napkin or back of a cigarette box etc. Mainly anything else than expensive paper.
But I´m trying not to let the same thing happen too often in my modeling. Hours spent in modeling are the most precious ones, so why not make it even better?

Toni
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
I think most has been said ! Have fun !
I started building P51's and corsairs because I liked them... and I still build them !
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have about 30-40 ideas written in a little book of project I would like to build, these include vignettes, dio's and even boxed dio's.

Ronny,

This is an AWESOME idea and one I give to people in art classes. I would encourage everyone to do this. Thanks for thinking of it for modeling!

Another idea is a sketchbook where you can draw out your ideas as well (even if it's just stick figures). You can get a blank page sketch book at a bookstore for about $6.

Steve

PS - Glad that sherman is finally dry! :-)

Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:07 AM UTC
I would just lik to say that if anyone is worried about a model going out a production, if you look on eBay oftenly enough, you can find what you want for a reasonble or very good price. I looked for about 3 months to find a certain rare action figure that I wanted and got it for about 7 dollars when it was worth at least 35. If you look long enough, you can find what you want.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
I agree with Sancho, with the exception of the molds that are lost or damaged like the Aurora ones destroyed in the great wreck or the others scrapped for the metal.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
I am kind like you and kind not like you, Master Padrino. (Sorry, watched Star War again last night) #:-)

I started building model again 7 to 8 months ago, and I just build German Armor, but unlike many others, I only started the Tiger this week. (For many it's their first model). I kinda thinking like you, because I like it so much, I want my skill reach a reasonable level to tackle this baby, don't want to ruin it too much.

On the other hand, I am not too worried about the result. Don't get me wrong, I mean I like to see that I did all I can within my skill limit. But I won't build a model than compare it with Gunnie's or CaptainJack or all other Masters heres and said "Gee, I kinda suck". I compare them with the first model I built or the previous one I built then say " I improved some..." :-) Then you will have fun....

Have fun, and after all, it's a hobby. My 2 cents.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am avoiding building the models I really like; PZ iv etc because I don't want to botch them up.

If Pz IVs are your cup of tea, buy the new Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J (#35181) or the new Tamiya Pz IV Ausf H (#35209). Once you crack open those gorgeous all-new kits, you'll just want to build one. They build very easily and will look great OOB.
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:01 PM UTC
It's good to know that is isn't just me. I've got a bunch of kits on the shelf. Many of them are waiting for me to get the courage to build and paint them.
I just don't want to risk ruining them since I've got so little modelling experience.
But one of these days I will start building them... :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:09 PM UTC
One more thing. There is an advantage in cheap, close-to-ok-quality models. With these pieces it´s easier to experiment things and that goes much further than the "reasoned" work you "apply" on a model and call it "technique".
Also it is a great pleasure to get more out of the model than the kit lets you assume...
My next projects include kits from Zvezda, Skif and ICM and they are cheap, bad quality kits(even to my eye!) but no other manufacturer makes those models.
I´m looking forward to some heavy weathering with these kits!

Toni
 _GOTOTOP