Hosted by Darren Baker
bushes, undergrowth, etc
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
does anyone have a good idea for making groundcover, bushes, and undergrowth? i need something other than woodland scenics static grass and tall grass. Any ideas? pics would be nice.
cheers
ian
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:48 PM UTC
I used for my latest dio garden moss. Here are some pics. Teh left one I used for the underground. The right one I used for my tree.

For my T-55 underground I used sand mixed with some PVA glue. When it was dry I painted it with sand colours
[img]
Succes!
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi Ian,

There are a lot of guys here that do excellent groundcover and I'm just a novice compared to them but here's goes. Are you looking at temperate or tropical? I work with a lot of natural stuff, after all what best to imitate nature than nature herself.

If your'e into torturing yourself with scratchbuiding which I am, then grass can be simulated with hemp or hair from paint brushes. I find the brushes used for wood varnishing the best as they're relatively cheap, long enough to cut into the lengths you want and absord paint well. I'm also experimenting with preserving some live vegetation (in my gallery).

Additional groundcovers can consist of dried vegetation that resemble ferns and broadleaf covers you get from the florist. You might want to avoid the plastic stuff especially the ones you get from aquariums as the size is usually a bit off. Dried leaves on the ground can be simulated with dried tea leaves which incidentally make fairly good leaves for small bushes. Paint as desired.

The pic below has grasses made from coconut fibres (found on welcome mats and some sofas) and the varnish brush I mentioned. Forest litter is from tea leaves.Sorry the pic is a bit grainy.

Should have more pics if I get off my butt and finish my 3rd. dio based on a secondary jungle scene sometime early August.

Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:11 PM UTC
A few months ago a made the perfect mistake. I collected some twigs and that kind of stuff in my garden for my dio. When my dio was finished I put all the twigs in a bottle. Nothing special but I forgot to make the bottle dry after I washed it. So I put everything in and sealled it off. After a month or so I took that bottle and it was a living nature inside Some twigs had the most beautiful moss and stuff on it. But I throw it al away because it was full of mildew and raggs. Now I am trying it again:) If nature do her job, I will make some photo's.

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC
You can also have a look here...
Ciao
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
Here are some ideas too
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/389&page=1

or head to Michaels to the dried flowers section and check out some of the bundles there.
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC
thanks all for your posts, ill definetly try them!!
cheers
ian
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
Military Miniatures Warehouse has a large number of various products listed here
warzone
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
hi ian, its like jurjen said gargen moss.but my view is make sure you dry the moss out over night & shake any bits off you can also paint over the moss has in time to come the moss goes dryed up light brown (great for the jungle) ok ian HAVE FUN warzone
Cristo
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
try using architechts foam
 _GOTOTOP