_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Bradleys
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
Even though I told my wife I wouldn't buy any more models for a while the Hobby Lobby sale is calling me. IF I can swing it with her, probably cost me some flowers or something, I'm wondering which Tamiya Bradley I might want. I see that they have one that has a full interior, I think it's TAM 35132, and one that is the latest "desert" version, TAM 35264. The newer one is nearly twice as much the older one. Does the newer one also have the full interior? I really kind of want a Bradley, and I wonder if the new one is all THAT much better, if at all?

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:45 PM UTC
Someone correct me if I am wrong here. The M2 Bradley (the old kit) is the only one that has an interior. The new OIF Bradley does not have an interior. The ODS Bradley that Tamiya put out does not have an interior either. The interior on the old M2 kit would not be correct for either the ODS version or the OIF version.

I have to admit that I had fun building the M2 with the interior but overall, I like the appearance of the ODS and OIF vehicles better. So, I guess you have a tough choice to make.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
If you ask me, I prefer the M2. Doesn't look much beefed up but the simple looks of it atttracts me. Or.... if you want beefed up kit, go for the M2A2 ODS. It has lots of stowage and supplies giving it a bulky look.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:17 AM UTC
Sauer is correct. The ODS Bradley does not have an interior.

The "Old Skool" Bradley is the only Tamiya kit that comes with the interior and I beleive that was reconfigured by the time ODS rolled around in 1991.

I have that old Bradley sitting around and will do it as a REFORGER vehicle from the '80s. That overall OD scheme will make it that much eaiser (and plenty of grey pastels for the dust it always seemed to pick up on the ranges)
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone correct me if I am wrong here. The M2 Bradley (the old kit) is the only one that has an interior. The new OIF Bradley does not have an interior. The ODS Bradley that Tamiya put out does not have an interior either. The interior on the old M2 kit would not be correct for either the ODS version or the OIF version.

Let me explain a few things here, as this is a little confusing

Tamiya offered four Bradley kits:
M3 Bradley CFV (no interior) - 35131
M2 Bradley IFV (with interior) - 35132
M2A2 Bradley IFV (no interior) - 35152 - this is the version that was used during Op. Desert Storm
M2A2ODS Bradley IFV (no interior) - 35264 - this is the version used during OIF, but it has "ODS" in the name as it is M2A2 modified after Op.Desert Storm using experience from this conflict.

Interior from old M2 kit is actually correct for both M2A2 kits. Most newer M2A2ODS Bradleys indeed have new style interior, but not all of them. And Tamiya M2A2ODS kit lacks several modifications present in those newer Bradleys, so it shows "early" ODS and as such can still have old style interior.

Rodger,

If you do not particularly look for OIF vehicle then I suggest getting 35132 M2 Bradley. This oldest kit was the most accurate of them all and it includes interior. You can build it in several camouflage schemes: overall OD, two types of MERDC, NATO 3-color or overall desert sand (as they were still used during first Gulf War). All later Tamiya M2A2 kits were based on parts from this early model and this actually made them inaccurate!

Pawel
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:02 AM UTC
Maybe a bit But would the Academy M2's interior would be good to use on my M2A2 ODS (since buying another Tamiya M2 will costs me a lot).
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
The Acaedmy kit is a reboxed Tamiya kit.

Speaking of Bradley's, I took some pictures of the Bradley sitting outside my office door yesterday. I got pictures that show the ejection port and locking handle on the barrel housing of the 25mm and inside where the 7.62 Coax sits. I will be sending them to Jim later tonight. Plus some others too.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC
Pete:
Can ya post a few of the overall shots in this thread or a new one?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Acaedmy kit is a reboxed Tamiya kit.

Not reboxed. Academy Bradleys are copies of Tamiya kits (most likely not quite legal...). Details are marginally softer on Academy parts. And tracks are molded with chevron road blocks upside down. But interior parts do fit Tamiya kits (although decals for interior, present in Tamiya M2 kit, are missing from Academy kit).

Pawel
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
Thnaks Pawel for the correction.

I never did notice that about the tracks, then again, I just used those kits for the interior. Ya, I notice no decals either. I guess the corporate spies could only get the molds and forgot to get the decal sheet......
armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:36 AM UTC
I bought the M2 with the interior. I haven't started to work on it yet, but just from looking at the sprues, there seems to be lots of good detail shown. Also, there are a LOT of parts to this thing, so it should be a good detailed project.

Epi, we'll be ready for those pictures when they get up.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:53 PM UTC
Thanks to all, but especially you Pawel for your information. I picked up the one with the interior. It turned out a no brainer, the store I went didn't have the other one and I didn't feel like driving around looking for it. As I recall it was $60 list compared to $30 for the one I got so I doubt I would have gotten in anyway. Still I appreciate the info and suggestions. Now one of these days I'll actually be able to get back to modeling, as opposed to doing "honey dos" and I'll be able to make it.

_GOTOTOP