_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter's 1944/85s in.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hi. Was just over on the Squadron site and I see they are now listing both the Trumpeter 1/16 scale T-34 1944/85 kits, so they must be in.

I got a very bad feeling that my wallet is going to take one heck of a beating come this Saturday as I make my weekly trip to the local hobby store. Oh well, such is life.

Take care, Sgirty
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
I recieved my kit today from VLS and it is wonderful,I have no ideal where in the heck to display it when finished.Mrosko
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:54 AM UTC
Oh well I guess I am going to have to wait for mine. I have to clear my workbench. I'm getting ready to sell the house and Most of my stash is boxed. I cant wait to get the 42 started allas it will have to wait. Sgirty what is the list price on the 85?

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi. Tiger101: Squadron is showing $150.95 The local hobby shop here sells them for $125. That's kind of high, but then again, it is a new kit. I'm sure later on down the road they will be cheaper. But with the Tamiya 1/16 Tiger going for over $300, with no interior, it's not a bad deal either.

And since there is more and more coming out all the time showing reference details of the real -34s and items other modelers have added to their kits, there's quite a bit that can be put on and in it, if the builder so desires. So all in all, These kits are quite a project for anybody to build.

And I have to tell you, as far as they go for me personally, once you've done one of these, it's reallly hard to go back to those smallish 1/35 scale models. But to each there own.

Take care, Sgirty
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC
hmmmm.... if I was to buy one of these, it would be for converting to R/C. I just wouldn't be able to just leave it alone when I would be finished with it.I don't think the tracks are strong enough for R/C though, any input on that?
majorproblem
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi,
Trumpeter are releasing an R/C version, although I still think all running gear, suspension, tracks, etc are all plastic.
Some guys in the states had one as a test version and managed to R/C it, although due to its light weight, it sort of bounces around a bit too much.
I know the turret traverse and gun elevation are the things holding up the final R/C version and think it is still around a year away before release.

If you were going to buy the static kit to R/C it, I would suggest trying to make metal suspension arms, etc to try and toughen it up a bit, I think after a week of running as all plastic many parts would break.

And,..Ahem....if your gonna R/C it and do not use the interior detail parts,....I can think of one person who would take them off your hands
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
Dave, Major- ask & ye shall surely receive:
This is the Trumpeter Prototype T34/85 RC in 1:16, Photographed at AAFTank museum in Danville VA. Courtesy of RCANC. Major, that's about what they said whenI was there (pack wasn't charged so I didn't get to take it for a spin) and adding weight just slowed it down. They think some lower gearing might help.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Sgirty- Almost Forgot! If you're enjoying the "step up" to 1:16 from 1:35... Try one of these on for SIZE:

That's one(okay, 1 1/2) of the RCANC's member's scratchbuilt 1:6 T34's. Built completely of scale thickness Aluminum & Fibreglas. My son Logan (figured that one, huh?) Is 41" tall, & the tank is on a 3'x6' folding table. Tracks are individually machined link -to-link, each belt weighed over 7 lb.
The bottom pic shows the second hull (next to a 1:16 Pershing IIRC) under construction. They hope to have both of these brutes running at their show on Aug 28.
Anyone in the area should stop by- Great museum, Nice bunch of guys. Justifiably proud of their creations, and willing to share any & all info!
Enjoy!
 _GOTOTOP