_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Why is the M29 Weasel so un-loved?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:15 PM UTC
Un-loved by kit makers that is. I thought of this in connection with Gunnies "Dream Model" post but thought it deserved a thread of its own.

I built the Monogram version of this kit in the 70's and thought it was cool back then. I didn't realize it but I was just reading that something like 15,000 of these babies were produced during WWII. Not a small number.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:22 PM UTC
I posted about that too awhile ago Jim. I wish it were remade...be nice for the collection!
Last week I saw The Blue Tank version in my hobby store, but wiht a price of $ 22, I walk away from it. Soon..........
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 09:39 PM UTC
The Blue Tank version is an over-scaled copy of the Monogram kit. Do you see the figures in that thing? Looks like it's being driven by 5 yr olds. There is a small picture of one in the Monogram Armor Series ad I just posted to the gallery.

I agree that a nice modern tooling is long overdue.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
I agree - I've built one of the Monogram (Attack Weasels) and I really liked it. I haven't seen the ADV resin versions out of France, but hear they're nice. The Blue Tank version is frightening! The Weasel definitely needs some love...

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
You would think that some manufacturer would bring one out. If you go to any military vehicle show there is at least one of them there.
Didn't Revelo-gram reissue this?
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
I remember the Monogram kit, I think it was the first military vehicle I ever built. But were the M29 weasels really used during the war, I don't recall ever seeing a foto of the real thing.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
Ron - Yes, Revellogram did re-release the kit for a brief period of time. They quickly disappeared from the shelves. Interesting for what some label a "sub-par" kit. The Weasel seems to pop up (no pun intended) every several years.

Rufus - The Concord Publications reference on Amphibians in WW II carries a lot of wartime Weasel photos - most interesting are the USMC Weasels in the Pacific. Army Weasels in the ETO are in the book too. Good book to have for Amtrac and Amtanks as well.

Gunnie
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 12:17 PM UTC
The French also used them in Indo-china in the late 40's and into the 50's they had a different name for them as I recall,more than likely hand me downs from the US stocks.
Also built the old Mono kit in the 1970's,it would be nice to see a new one brought out by lets say Tamiya or DML or even Italeri who do have some decent kits.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also built the old Mono kit in the 1970's,it would be nice to see a new one brought out by lets say Tamiya or DML or even Italeri who do have some decent kits.

I agree here, just look what DML did with the Kettenkraftrad. They would do a bang up job with the Weasel. I guess we'll have to wait for a WWII or Korean War movie that semi-highlights this piece of equipment like SPR did for the Kettenkraftrad.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The French also used them in Indo-china in the late 40's and into the 50's they had a different name for them as I recall,more than likely hand me downs from the US stocks.

Yeah - the French called the "Crabs"...

Gunnie
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 12:57 PM UTC
I've got the Monogram Weasel kit in my stash. I found it a few months ago at my local hobby shop. Also, Modelcraft from Canada makes one. I saw it on Squadrons site.
It's 1:35 scale and the item code is MX359008. The pic looks like it is from the monogram molds.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
I think the Weasel seems to be unloved by a lot of modelers is because of the simplified way Monogram rendered the suspension and road wheels. It isn't Weaselesque - but a nice model can still be had despite that shortcoming. I haven't dropped the $$$ to try and graft a resin ADV Weasel suspension onto the Monogram kit yet...

Gunnie
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:01 PM UTC
I think you may be right. I had forgotten how crude the molding was. When I opened the box I was almost sorry I bought it. But then, I did have some empty shelf space in my stash.
And I may even build ir one day.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:05 PM UTC
I suppose you could model the Weasel swimming - I haven't seen that one done yet...

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 10:31 PM UTC
Gunnie,
Shep Paine did a dio for the Weasel that (I think) involved water. I will have to see if I can dig out my old manuals and inserts (I kept them all from when I was about eight). I didn't find them on my first scouting mission, but I think there are some boxes in odd places around my house.

Water dios can be really neat. Or... really bad if you don't know the right technique. Anybody done one before?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,
Shep Paine did a dio for the Weasel that (I think) involved water. I will have to see if I can dig out my old manuals and inserts (I kept them all from when I was about eight). I didn't find them on my first scouting mission, but I think there are some boxes in odd places around my house.

Water dios can be really neat. Or... really bad if you don't know the right technique. Anybody done one before?

Hope you can find it - it would be great to see. I haven't done a water dio - heck I've only done one dio in my modeling life. I'd like to get some good techniques too...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP