_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Site Alert: Hard Drive Problems?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
I just got a head's up from the folks we rent our dedicated server from that our primary SCSI hard-drive is making a high-pitch whining sound. Apparently this ussually precipitates a drive failure. We do nightly and weekly backups so hopefully should this happen we can get back up quickly. However some data-loss should be expected.

Fair warning has been given. I am going to cross my fingers on this one and pray that all is restored as it should be. The trick (I think) is that some of the applications require special additions to the Apache Web Server software and that may cause some problems until I can optimize all these elements.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Jim
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
Just be thankful that the servers you use preolly have some kind of raid from some security usually in a server 1 drive dieing isnt a really big deal usualy in raid most of the data is on another drive in the system. so they just pull it out put a new one in and reload the data. Atleast that some what, what i heard in my Cisco class.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:25 PM UTC
Tin hats on boys...and ladies.

Got to sit this one out till the sun shines again.

Cheers
Peter
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:04 AM UTC
It was like loosing an old friend . Not being able to access the site was driving me crazy...and had nothing to look at....or great post to read...it's a ritual... Glad to have you back old friend..... :-)
 _GOTOTOP