_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 scale weld lines
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi, Glad the site is up and running again. Luckily it was down when I had my foot operation so I haven't be on this infernal machine since Tuesday anyway.

Am thinking of adding some extra armor plates to the turret sides and front hull of Trumpeter's 1/16 scale T-34/42 model and was wondering what methods others use to add the weld seams. Have seen several ways to do- autobody filler, stretched spure/liquid glue, small diam. solder, etc. I was just wondering what's the best, or I should say, easiest, way to do this type of addition that you've used and have had good success with?

Thanks in advance and take care, Sgirty
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:39 PM UTC
In my opinion the method described by Lee Lloyd would be perfect for this scale. Rolled out milliput, into long thin sausages, and then the filed hypodermic needle for the welding imprints. Ive tried it on 1/35 and the only problem I had was keeping the sausages thin enough, so therefore I think 1/16 scale it should be perfect.
Ive tried the cement and sprue/plastic rod method, and didnt like it as the area beside can get soft with the cement also. Just my opinion.
How to Create Accurate Weld Effects,
by Lee Lloyd
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Milliput is a terrific medium - it can be sculpted to the appropriate texture to mimic the vast array of weld types seen on armored vehicles.

Cody
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hi. Thanks guys for the replies. Have read and studied Lee Lloyd's article and also looked at Stahlhem's very fine work on his 1/16 Tiger and I see that this is the stuff to try.

Have a catalog I recently got in the mail from Micro Mark and was going to order some of their micro drill bits they have on sale anyway, and I see that they also have this Super Fine Milliput putty on sale as well. Good show! Get two birds with one stone.

Thanks again, and take care, Sgirty
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:57 AM UTC
Milliput is a great item to have in the toolbox ... its great for 1001 different things! Filling seams, gaps and even shaping small pieces out of. Stowage rolls can be made from it also. Its easy cleaned up with a water-dampened brush and can be carved and sanded after curing!
Check out some hints on milliput before you start using it. Ive heard that storing it in the fridge prolongs its life!
 _GOTOTOP