_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Of Decals and Stencils
beepboop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
When it comes to markings, I have always used the decals that came with the kit, and i just use water for the application - no fancy setting solution or anything. I've always been a little irritated by the "shine" that the decal gives off when caught against the light. It seems that you can hide this a bit with the clearcoat, and even more if you weather the decal. So, my first question is: "can you apply some magical solution to decals to make them appear a non-shiny part of the surface to which they adhere?"

I keep repainting an old Panther model, and so have no decals for it. To solve this problem, I recently bought a photo-etch stencil set made by Lion Roar (I think) which has various stencils for different iron Crosses. So far, i've been very happy with it. But it doesn't have any numbers on it. Obviously, German tanks usually have three "types" of markings; the crosses, a unit number, and a division insignia. I'd really like to stencil on all markings if possible, since it completely solves the "shiny decal" problem I asked about above. I imagine that the division insignia are too varied and too small to be covered by stencils, but i hope that there is at least a numbering stencil out there somewhere. So, here's the second question: "can you buy a complete set of 1/35th German Markings Stencils? If so, who makes them, and where do you think I could buy them in the UK?".

Cheers for any and all help!

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
eduard does a generic set of small markings (letters and numbers) that you could use. I have a set but never use them as they are hopeless unless on a flat surface.

you are better going to AM dry transfers like Archers in my opinion.
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:15 AM UTC
This is one of the best!
Archer Dry Transfers
http://www.archertransfers.com/
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
put your clearcoat on before the decal, and then after you put your decal on, let things dry, add another coat of clear over the decal, then follow it up with a dull coat.

works for me, you can still see the decal edges if they are thick,but other than that it looks good
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:04 PM UTC
The thing with German unit numbers is that they are very different from each other, and there doesn't seem to be an standard, but you could try it though
 _GOTOTOP