_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Iraqi armor update kits
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 06:57 AM UTC
I have been looking for as much of this stuff as I can collect. In a lot of the 1991 Fine Scale Modelers I have seen stuff made by AEF that is desighned to make the soviet armor accurate for the Iraqi versions but its all OOP now. AEF said that they aren't going to make any more when I called them. I have a couple questions. Does anyone know of any other companies that make good updates for the Iraqi armor that is still in production? Also, what is the best way to try and find some of these updates or full kits that are OOP? In a recent Fine Scale they had an article on finding OOP kits but I would like to know what has worked for some of you find stuff like this. Thanks for the help in advance.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC
Andrew,
The only thing I can think of, is hiting the shows. With the recent talks about invading Iraq again, this stuff should be back in popular demand. There is a show next weekend here and I will keep an I out for you for things.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
Epi to the rescue again. If you find anything go ahead and pick it up and I will cover the costs. I don't have a huge budget right now but enough for a couple update kits. thanks for the offer.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 10:13 PM UTC
If you look hard, you can find the Kirin kit "Lion of Babylon", a re-box of a DML T-72 with Iraqi decals and parts to build a Republican Guard T-72M1. I found one recently, I missed all those DS/DS Kirin kits when they came out since I was deployed. My next search will be for the Kirin Kuwait M-84 (a Yugoslav variant of the T-72).
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC
So Kirin is an actual company of its own right? Do they rebox other companies models or something? That will actually give me more to search for, thanks again for the great info.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
I suspect that Kirin is the same as DML and Shanghai/Dragon since the logo is the same red dragon with the name Kirin next to it instead of "DML" or "Dragon". I have a couple of Kirin items, the Lion of Babylon Iraqi Republican Guard T-72M1 #28001 and an M1A1/A2 engine. The kit comes in a black box with a red stripe across the top. I have a couple of the DML T-72M2 #3501, but haven't cracked them open, so I don't know what makes this kit different. I do see an Iraqi tank commander in the kit and DML doesn't normally include crew figures with their kits. It has 3 sprues full of individual track links which may scare the casual builder away.
Olangi120
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
I recetently saw an Iraqi model of the chineese type 59 with the side armor skirts,made by Trumpeter the outside of the box has this tank as Iraqi army,I know Iraqi deployed other chineese versions including the t-62 with ther conversion but I dont know the name of these tanks.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 06:22 PM UTC
Actually in Chinese, Kirin means (I believe) "little Dragon" you don't need to go far find the connextion. Unfortunately Kirin kits stopped being available some years ago. If you try contacting them directly you might get some satisfaction, but it seems the line is diminishing alas. If you find a Kirin kit somewhere toaday, my advice is scoop it up, as it might not be there tommorrow!
As many of you are aware, I'm going through some rough moments and might be off-line for a while until I get myself back together. Still, I'll do the best I can to post regularly.

I would also second the Trumpeter kit solution. They do a fairly reasonable Type 69 which was a standard Iraqi MBT. With a few tweaks and some TLC, that can build into a fine replica

Captain Jack
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 06:41 PM UTC
Try this link as well:

http://www.jaguarmodels.com/armor.htm

Jackology 101
 _GOTOTOP