_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Idea for dio
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi all

Again been surfing the net and found something that caught my eye,i posted an idea a day or so ago about a Pacific landing dio was not sur about Iwo Jima OR Tarawa Atol.
However i found a great pic of an incident at Guadalcanal involving a member of the Coast Guard who won the only Medal of Honer for the Coast Guard his name was Signalman First Class Douglas Munro who was infact K.I.A. Dduring the action.See link attached showing pic of action He is in a boat i have never seen before does anyone know where i can get one from and that scale 1.35 i belive Lewis Gun,or do you think i will have to scratch build the boat i know dragon did a boat in that scale small type assault boat perhaps i can modify that one .

Any information on the boat and gun would be fantastic
Link below
http://www.nps.gov/wapa/indepth/extContent/wapa/coast_guard/cg1.htm
Regards Chris Tango 20 Cheers
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi,

According with the text, it's craft it's a LCVP.

Fonderie Miniatures has one at 1:35

(image from GreatModels.com)

HTH
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC

Hi there thanks for the reply, not sure if you were able to see the link but in the photo, it shows Munroe in a boat with no ramp, but with two 30 cal machine gun positions.
It looks more like a support boat,unless the artist has used artistic licence but that would seem strange when he has gone to the length to do such a great painting .The mystery goes on perhaps i will have to contact the USC and see what they can say.
Regards Chris tango 20
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
All the text I've read says he was on a Higgins' Boat......
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
Higgins' Boat was a generalized term for vessels built by the Higgins Boat Company just down the road from me in New Orleans. He built mostly LCVPs but also bigger vessels as well, even turned in a prototype of what would later be called the PT Boat (wasn't accepted).

FYI, Higgins had 20 employees before the war, over 500 after the war. If you go to the D-Day Museum in New Orleans, as you enter to the left is a landing craft built for the museum by surviving employees of the Higgins COmpany, built using original plans.

Higgins plans called for a wooden, open top, shallow draft vessel. Wooden to decrease weight and increase speed, as Higgins thought survivability in a beach landing would not be due to armor but to speed. Some of his original plans were modified, but the vessel came to production pretty close to how he designed it.

Eisenhower visited Higgins after the war and told him that his vessels had won the war. Pretty interesting story of how he went from building shallow draft cargo vessels for the bayous of Louisiana in a "mom and pop" company to a major contributor in the winning of WW II.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
word of waring the Fonderie Miniatures kit is supposed to be a real dog for the price very simple renditions of parts ect
 _GOTOTOP