_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
first scracthbuilt, comment pt.4
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'ts been a long time since I last posted anything regarding my dio because took a break due to pressures from work ....I'm back....

Below are some of the pics of what I did after working on the dio the past few days of re-modeling again....Its not yet finished (no paint on the rubbles and ground works yet). I plan to put some grass around the sides and more rubbles...maybe this weekend

Any additional inputs, opinions or comments regarding my dio is very much welcome.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:04 AM UTC
pretty good layout, nice work from the last post.
One thing I see is that the door on the front of the panther doesn't 'work' for me. I personally would place it under the tank on the ground. Laying against it means to me that the door was pushed or blown back After the tank took up position, and there ins't any damge to the tank.

Other than that - can't wait to see paint.
recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
Have to agree about the door (too much of a focal point?).
Oherwise outstanding, very next level. Nice balance too,

Mozeltoff
Tom
sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
I just cant wait to see the finished product.
are u planning to add some more figures to the diorama?
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:40 AM UTC
Ciao warthog,
I really like what you have done. I think that your initial try has really turned out to be a beauty.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and respectfully disagree with Slodder. If the tank is positioned there for tactical reasons, then I think it could stand to reason that the crew has placed to door in front of the glacis for concealment purposes. My two cents.
Ciao for now
Rob
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments. My intention of putting the door over the glacis is for concealment as wat Rob mentioned (you got the prize . My storyline/idea for the dio is like this:

1) The tank is actually hiding behind the farm house probably for minor repairs , the soldiers are just resting and at the same time waiting for an ambush.

2) The person outside is surveying the perimeter for enemies...then suddenly he sees something and calls on his men to prepare.

3) Some of the men were surprised by the call that is why ...

(see pic above)The person near the door is already prepared, the one in the middle is running towards the door and guy at the back was totally surprised....

Additional figures...hmmm...I've been thinking about that...not sure and if I still have the time. If ever I do that what I have in mind is the tank repair crew(?). Do you have any suggestions?

I'm still thinking of the following:
1) Possible title/name for the dio
2) How I could still put camo on the tank, probably hay, or just for laughs "laundry" on the turret and the cannon itself.
3) Where are the good places that I could place grass.

BTW, may you guys can give me your idea on the pics below.

close-up view of the inside

Thank you very much
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:31 PM UTC
hey warthog, i love your diorama, i am very impresses and i love the theme to it. cant wait to see it finished and weathyered.

matt
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:58 PM UTC
Well thats a nice improvement after some time we have seen tha starting of it . nice detail level. I have to agree on the door placement. Otherwise nice building work, nice tight scene. working some more on details and figures placement will do this an absolute beauty

Costas

please keep us updated
shonen_red
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:50 PM UTC
Ready for the Nationals? :-) :-) :-)

Everything fits well. Give the cans a bit of weathering because they look too clean.

BTW, nice touch on the bed and drawers. Who's on the pic? :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:38 PM UTC
Ok - Can't argue with the point about placing the door on the tank.... didn't think of that. Gotta love debate

Nice interior - I like the cabinet, well done. Lots of detail. Don't forget to put the broken glass in the diorama though.
One thing I would do on the 'edges' of the building is to use some black and blacken in the 'ends' or 'edges' of the building that aren't destroyed by the action. This will blend them into the 'background' more. Places like the ceiling beams and top edge of the roof tiles.

A ttile -- hmmmmm ---
- They're Early!!!!
- Get Ready
- Are We Spotted?

Something like that to indicate the surprise

Great job.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:20 PM UTC
Warthog, this is coming along very well. The others have made good comments to help imrove it so I will only address the grass issue. My suggestion is to look around in nature and see how grasses grow around buildings, and keep in mind this is a farm so try to visualize where the traffic paths would be and leave these with little or no grass. Keep us updated! I can't wait to see more. Cheers Kevin
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:01 PM UTC
Guys,

Great inputs...many thanks. Those inputs would definitely help. At this moment, I'm currently working on the dio and just waiting for the paint to dry.....so I took time to read....

Shonen: I hope I could finish the dio before the nationals.... . BTW, that is my daughter on the picture. You are right I still have to paint drums and cans...even the intentionally damaged motorcycle (did you notice it) -- got it from the Tamiya King Tiger Ardennes front kit spare BMW motorcycle....

Thanks

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen: I hope I could finish the dio before the nationals.... . BTW, that is my daughter on the picture.

Wow! And even the resizing is perfect!! How old is she?

Quoted Text

intentionally damaged motorcycle (did you notice it) -- got it from the Tamiya King Tiger Ardennes front kit spare BMW motorcycle....

Got any spare figures?
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I see is that the door on the front of the panther doesn't 'work' for me.

Good point...

On the other hand it depend on the finish product. If I was going for an ambush setting, then I'd leave it and add more debris to hide the take from that angle/viewpoint. But then I would not have a figure in front of the wall area.

Just a thought....

John
www.johnneill.com
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
That furniture looks fantastic! If you pile some bricks and rubble on the front of the tank it may appear that the door fell on the tank when it pushed forward into the wall
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
More inputs, yes, I like it...nope in fact I love it. All your suggestions and comments are very good...i

The figure in front of the wall area when complete has a binocular...hmmm.... What if I just scratchbuild another platform or a crate with some drums behind the wall where the figure outside can stand?

Quoted Text

Wow! And even the resizing is perfect!! How old is she?

She's just 7 yrs. old. BTW if any of you is interested... the picture frame is 1cm x 1cm. I changed the original pic to sepia then re-sized it using MSWord...( I even have pics of my wife, in-law in same size as spare pics). I then printed the pic on a cheap sticker label paper. The frames were scratchbuilt using thinned Coffee Bean wood stirrer.

Arvin
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

She's just 7 yrs. old. BTW if any of you is interested... the picture frame is 1cm x 1cm. I changed the original pic to sepia then re-sized it using MSWord...( I even have pics of my wife, in-law in same size as spare pics). I then printed the pic on a cheap sticker label paper. The frames were scratchbuilt using thinned Coffee Bean wood stirrer.

Ahh cool!! Perhaps another article about picture resizing and making the cabinets? :-)

What printer did you use? Laser?
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh cool!! Perhaps another article about picture resizing and making the cabinets?

I would love to make an article...I just need to finish this dio first. BTW, I used ink/desk jet printer.
 _GOTOTOP