Hosted by Darren Baker
My M113 is finished
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
Well i finished my M113, what a great build, took a while but it was fun, its an out of the box build, not experienced enough to start sinking major money into my builds.

well, what do you think? i tried to get some better interior shots, but it got blury when i got closer to it, so your gonna have to deal with the blue shots my night flash got.

you can probably see my next one waiting weathering in the backround a Hobby Lobby pick up M26 pershing
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Looks pretty good. Only thing I would change is the fence material on the front needs some weathering, it is too shiny. Look at a chain link fence for some referances. Also, the tail lights look unpainted. They need a little red on the upper, oval shaped lense on the left side. Other lenses should be black slits for the blackout marker lights. Other than that, looks like agreat build.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC
It looks great, I really like it! Weathering on the hull is perfect.

Just two things I noticed. One is what Gino wrote about - the fence mesh should be weathered, cause it looks too brigth. The other thing is the color of the rear ramp. The ramp is painted olive drab on both sides, not interior color. The same is true for all other hatches.

And it also seems that you are another victim of wrong information given in Tamiya instructions, but it is absolutely not your fault. You shouldn't also bother correcting it, I just write to give you something to remember for your next M113 build: Interior of almost all US Army M113s, except for a small number of early production vehicles, was sea foam green, not white. And cushions on individual seats were black or brown. The floor plate was left unpainted.

Pawel
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:53 PM UTC
Wow! Nice work! I must agree on the first two posts, the fence needs to be darken. Other than that, congrats on a model well done
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:59 PM UTC
excellent,

the weathering is just perfect for a nam bucket.

which paints did you use for the OD? its a nice match

cheers

joe
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:39 PM UTC
well done sir. A nice theme always the lil bucket . Some reworking on the fence stuff will make it even better
Costas
recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interior of almost all US Army M113s, except for a small number of early production vehicles, was sea foam green, not white. And cushions on individual seats were black or brown.

Maybe from the factory ...
Interiors could be light blue, light green or white and seat cushions were mostly black but a few were light grey or light olive - never saw any brown.
And yes... this is from serveral years of actual observation.

Tom
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe from the factory ...
Interiors could be light blue, light green or white and seat cushions were mostly black but a few were light grey or light olive - never saw any brown.

Never heard of light blue interior in US military vehicle, but if you say so, then it must be true. I do not have any personal experience.
I have a picture where commander's seat cushion is brown, while others are black. Probably some improvised repair of damaged original black cushion, but still - it was brown.

Pawel

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC
I really love the red mud and the weathering on your M113. Since everyone else mentioned the fencing on the front I thought I would add this: As long as you are going to take it off to weather it anyway I would move down farther on the front of the vehicle. The way it is now I don't think the driver could see to drive if he was buttoned up. Maybe all the way down to the front corner. Just a suggestion.

Really nice build!

Shaun
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
Is this for the Bucket Bonanza Campaign? Man that was fast!!! Well I guess my Marine Shermie is almost done for the One of our tanks... Campaign
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
Your M113 is looking really good Noah. I'll second the call for which OD paint you used. Also, what did you use to achieve that nice red dirt/mud weathering?

Keith
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
I was going to mentio both comments on the fence, medium metallic gray wit a touch of rust herea nd there and move it lower. Also the tail lights as mentioned.
One other thing...watch the alignment on the ACAV turret. It looks like the rear starboard sice has the upper half over hanging the lower half.
A cheap improvement would be to replace the Tamiya M-60's with DML/Dragon version especially the ones from their machine gun set. They have a more to scale barrels and separate bipod parts the really make the guns stand out.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
thanks for the comments, the olive drab is just plain ole model masters olive drab, i use tamayia buff thined to 90% to draw streaks down the side, goes on clear but dries like water swept dust, i then used model masters dark earth to haze on the lower part of the thing, and i got lighter as i went up it, i then did the same with the buff mixture and made it a little heavyer twards the top than the brown. the more red earth was a mixture mostly of rust (actual rust) from rusted brillo (steel wool) pads, mixed with a little black, tan, and light brown artist pastel chalks. i used a wet brush to mix it on the road wheels. and part way up the side. when it was dry i used a stiff bristle brush and on the sides i brushed from front to back to remove any chunks that were left.

i knew i would forget to paint something, so the tail lights are now painted, i am going to paint the fencing and rust it a bit, and attach it lower. thanks guys for the comments. ill post some more when i get everything done with it, and when i get my pershing done, its turning out great.

i wish i would have seen the campaign for the M113's but i started this one about three weeks to a month ago. maybe i will do another one, it is a nice kit
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi Noah,
By the way, Which kit did you start with?

good work and good luck...
Chuck
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:42 AM UTC
Based on decals and some of the parts, it looks like the Tamiya M113 ACAV kit. Also, didn't notice the rear ramp the first time. It should be dark green just like the hull exterior. Can't see the others, but actually all the hatch interiors should be the samd as the exterior.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC
cool, thanks for the replys guys, yes its the tamaiya kit, hobby lobby had it on clearance so i picked it up.

_GOTOTOP