How to apply grass?
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hi...
I realise this question has probably been asked many times...
I've got a few packets of railway grass...powdery fibres...and ask how this is stuck (for want of a better word) to the base?
Its for the grass area of the airstrip base I'm doing.
Poly filler tinted green has been applied to the rear of the piece which is where the grass needs to be.

The grass area is the white raw foam bit on the pic.

Thanks and cheers
Peter
:-)
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
hiya peter. well its very simple actually.

you use white glue some people dilude it others don't

you just apply that to the area where you want your grass to be
let it dry and then gently tab it so the grass that isnt fixed comes of and you just repeat the process till you are happy with the result
sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
MMm, i was about to ask the same question..
i always have problems to make the grass stands.
Anyway.. applying white glue and let it dry is the best way and ive been using the method in all of my dio. but still i cant make it stand...i shud practice more...

thanks

flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the help.

But forgive me for being so dim.
Do I apply the white glue to the area for grass then sprinkle the grass powder on to it or do I mix the grass powder with the glue and apply that like a paste???

Thanks again
Cheers
Peter

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
Just apply white glue to the areas that should be covered with grass. Don't be shy with the white glue. Personally I use a mixture of 50% white glue and 50% water.

After you applied the glue, you sprinkle on the grass. Add a generous ammount of grass and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Now turn over the base and tap on the back. The most of the grass will fall of. Use a newspaper to chatch the falling grass, so you can use it again.

After tapping on the back of the base, you'll notice that enough grass remains on the base. Gently blow across the base and.... like magic, the grass will rise. You must do this while the glue is still wet enough. When the glue has cured a bit more, you can use a stif brush to gently stroke the grass. This will alo make the grass stand up. After the grass stands, put away the base until the glue is totally dry ( I store my bases upside down in order to prevent the grass falls over again)....

That's it folks. Just try it on a scrap base or a piece of cardboard. Once you get the hang of it, it's as easy as walking. Practice, practice....practice.

Good luck !
flitzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks Danny
clear now....
yes you can teach an old dog new tricks...don't fancy fetching slippers though...lol.

Cheers and thanks again
Peter
:-)
 _GOTOTOP