_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
1/35 Tank Waders
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
I want to put tank waders on the Tamiya M-8. Has anyone done this? I came across
numerous photos of the items on Shermans, but nothing on the other type vehicles.
The Hunnicut Sherman masterpiece has a series of relevant photos. However, after consulting several sources, I have come to the conclusion that the waders may have been placed on the exhaust
vents in a numbers of ways. It would assist my efforts if someone can direct me to a model they completed with waders.
thanks
DJ
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC
DJ,
Is this the M8 GMC? If so, since it was based on the M5 chassis, you may find pictures of that. Just a thought.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
Ron--this is the Tamiya M-8 HMC kit with the 75mm gun. I placed the VLS interior on the
vehicle. Now I am populating the interior with canteens, weapons, maps, etc. I have a
Tank Workshop wader kit which I am debating placing on her. Basically, I appreciate
what a wader is suppose to do that is to keep water out of the engine compartment while
allowing the system to breathe through the vents. The variants I saw indicate that the vents
may be placed either in the same or opposite directions once on the vehicle. I would like to see if someone else emplaced the waders and what it looks like.
thanks for your response
DJ :-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
DJ,
Check out Guntruck's website.
www.guntruck.com
He may have something. Or he will probably see this thread and have some info for you.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC
I'll check my old Verlinden and Squadron catalogs to see if one was available (see, that's why I keep the old stuff!) and try to get a catalog number.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
Rob--appreciate the assistance. Have you ever put waders on an armored vehicle?
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 09:19 AM UTC
I only found the old Verlinden set 276, which is a USMC composite hull with wading trunks for the Sherman. No M-3 Stuart wading gear. No, I've never built a tank with waders, usually stick to US Army gun tanks
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 07:47 PM UTC
Rob--thanks again. I am surprised that no one appears to have done work with waders.
I dug up some nice source photos from one of my reference books on installation. The Tank Workshop ones I have will need some work, but I believe they will work. The placement of the rear wader remains a puzzle to me. It apparently
goes over the exhaust vent in the vehicle. Those were not air intake engines so I am wondering
why did you need it at all. If the intent is to preclude water from entering the engine
compartment then I can see why it goes over the rear of the vehicle. If I am correct, the second vent is designed to prevent water from washing over the back deck into the engine compartment. They must have anticipated some huge swells. Those stacks are four to five feet in length. Interesting.
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
Check out Guntruck's website.
www.guntruck.com
He may have something. Or he will probably see this thread and have some info for you.

Haven't placed wading trunks on a M8 HMC - but I'll go digging around the books to see what I can find DJ!

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:43 AM UTC
DJ
I don't know if this will help or not, but I just pulled out the directions for the Italeri "Marine M4 Sherman". The illustrations show a snorkle (?) fitting over the engine intake on the back deck and one fitting over the exhaust.
I'm sitting here looking at my built M8 HMC and trying to figure out how it could be done.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
Ron--join the crowd. I have the box art from Tank Worshop showing them mounted on an M-5. I can make an educated guess,but for accuracy I am out on a limb. I happened across a very well illustrated copy of an oversized book in my library last night. The photo array covers the preparation for the invasion of Europe. In it, the M-3 hulls are shown undergoing DD experimentation by the British. The waders are on several vehicles in a workshop area. Still does not convey how it is fitted over the rear. Any of the guys in your IPMS placed waders on a vehicle?
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP