_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
I'm definitely in the wrong hobby.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi, Was just checking out the latest stuff posted over on Missing Lynx and saw a model just posted on the Constructive Comments section entitled "Worn Winter T-34/76 1941." Is it good? Well it makes me want to find the closest trash can and make a clean sweep of my junk and look for another hobby.

The weathering on this thing just floors me. If I could do something just half as good as this I would bow down to the modeling gods and Great Spirit and be eternally grateful for time, and money, well spent.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Myabe someday..... someday....if I can live to be 100 that is. Ha, ha!

Take care, Sgirty
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:53 PM UTC
Yes,that is a well worn paint job.

But

Look at the close up of the back of the towcables.I can see he didn't position them so that the cutout for the cable into the plastic part ,was down,and out of sight.
So,you are in the right hobby,I bet now you can build as good as that!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:08 PM UTC
Below is a hot link to the thread in question. That is some pretty impressive paint...

Shaun

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=110741&messageid=1092892006

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
I am embarassed after twenty plus years of building models, I can only claim to be able to get the base color kinda right. Impressive work.
DJ
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 792 posts
Armorama: 314 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

Don't worry .
I want to gine my opinion about this subject.
And i think that everbody can reach this painting standard.
And when you take a closer look at this model you can see it's paintwork is kinda messy .
Especially the front is ( see closeup ) is in my opinion a total mess up .
The model is great but the paint work is over done.
It look like he has something to hide.
Perhaps some constructing errors ?
Who knows ?

But i think as i said earlier that every body can reach a high standard of painting .
It is just like sex you have to put your feelings and emotions in it .

greetz

Eric
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:31 PM UTC
after seeing the quality of work like that, sometimes i wonder why i have the courage to put my models on display even at home
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:36 PM UTC
Yea... I think I will reconsider posting some more pics for awhile while work more on my skills......
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:43 PM UTC
Man dudes. This is a HOBBY. Repeating HOBBY. It is supposed to be fun. That is why I love posting picks on this site. It makes the hobby more fun because I get constructive criticism and my models get better. Post those pics. Have fun. How are you going to improve if you don't know what you are doing wrong?

Shaun
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:53 PM UTC
So, are you saying that a person should not play guitar unless he is as good as Carlos Santana? Or he should not play basketball unless he can play like an NBA pro? If that were true, then there wouldn't be any hobbies around. Just the "gods" and nobody else. I don't think that sounds right.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
we all have to start some where.
i really sux at weathing and dry burshing.
but hey its only a hobby we build for our selfs.
if we show our models to people that dont build.
he see master pices.
what do they know lol,
my parnets think i build master pices.
so dont let other peopls work ruin your building.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:15 AM UTC
I agree with Shaun and Hisham, this is a hobby, show us wht you do no matter how good or bad you might think it is.

Shows are the same. People seem afraid to show their work. My figures are no where near the quality of master painters (ERS1074 comes to mind!) but there is a certain thrill to show off your bet efforts -- no matter how good or bad. When some one stops to look, it's a good feeling.

I could care less if I win anything, I just enjoy the company of others who share the same interest.

Like Shaun said, it's a hobby and it's one we all try to get better at. Posting your work -- and looking at other people's work -- is one of the best way to get new ideas and get better.
recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC
Just my opinion… But I don’t like it.

I think its over weathered and all the focus is on the paint job and not the whole build.

Just my two cents…
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just my opinion… But I don’t like it.

I think its over weathered and all the focus is on the paint job and not the whole build.

Just my two cents…

Well, I have to tell you it is one of the most realistic models that has appeared recently. The builder is a creative genius who knows his subject and does his painting well.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Definitely a good model. Good replication of wahtwash applied by brush. Interesting use of the simulated chain link pattern. Good use of rust. Nice bent up grill on the rear deck. It does appear he missed his tie downs for the cables, but they may not show in the pics.
For those who seem to be intimnidated by this. Let me just say never be intimidated by another person's work. Enjoying the work of those better than us is a way of learning, especially if you can talk directly with the builder. If there's a technique you llike, ask how it's done. Show your work, here and in person if you have nearby club or contest. Look for people whose work you admire. Ask them for guidance. I really believe that's the only reason I'm growing in my figure work, because I bring my stuff to meetings and ask for suggestions.
I was just admiring Anders recent posts of his Blood Warrior. I'd love to be able to sit down with him and have him demostrate his acrylic blending. I've read the articles and tried it in limited areas, but to get up close and personal with a mentor is better by far.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
First of all grasshoppers, one must realize that the one to be better than is one self.

With this I mean that the goal is develop as a modeller, not compared to others but compared to the model you made just before the newest.

Some will develop fast, others slow. Some will stop and be satisfied with that , while others never will be skilled enough according to themselves.

I never thought I would reach my present level when I got back to modelling as an adult. Its amazing what one can overcome with determition, passion, help and practise.

So dont allow others good craftmanship to put you down, learn from it, get inspired by it and keep on modelling as long as you want to.
recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I have to tell you it is one of the most realistic models that has appeared recently. The builder is a creative genius who knows his subject and does his painting well.

Hey now...

I did start with “it's just my opinion” and I don't remember even saying if was good or bad - only that I personally don't like that "style” of weathering.

Is the builder really a genius? I don’t know him – do you? Sounds like your opinion.

I think he gets points for doing something new and different. I’m sure the builder would be glad you think he’s a genius. And I very much doubt if he cares if I don’t like it because he most likely built it for his own personal satisfaction.

But I still don’t like that style. Back to that whole “opinion” thing again.

Just my two cents… Must be four cents now. LOL
Tom

Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:26 AM UTC
i think that he did a really good job actually he did a really really good job, like, really good, but......i think that you cant judge his model on the weathering alone, there are lots of different things to look at when judging a model, so i guess you could say, there is better....
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Guys ... this is the beauty of modelling. If we all liked the same things and had the same taste, the hobby would never evolve. One persons mistake is the inspiration for another to try something new. The perfections of one modeller is the inspiration for another. Its all a circle. Jump in where you feel comfortable.
Personally, I make my mind up about a model in the first nano-second whether I like it, dislike it or really like it. I hope to be never afraid to try something because its not to somebodies personal taste. Sometimes Im happy, sometimes Im dissapointed. If one of mines turned out like this .. Man Id be one happy camper.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
Wow!! I see what you mean. This is one of the best I have seen in a long while. Very Impressive indeed.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
All I can say is " the T34 looks good to me". I'd be happy to have my name on it!

Am I going to give up modeling because someone else does a better job of modeling than I do?

NOPE!

I like armored vehicles and I like building models of them. I try to make each one a little better than the last one I built. I've made some good buddys on the net and they are all better modelers than I am. They are an inspiration to me.

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi, Many opinions here. I wonder if this individual is tuned into this site and has read all of these? He has more postings here than on the other site. Ha, ha!

No, seriously speaking, I haven't given up on the hobby, although after seeing builds like this one the thought does tend to cross my mind even if it's only a temporary thing. There are many many models I see displayed on this site and others that make me just sit back, wonder, and admire the state of high craftsmanship you folks put into them, but just every now and then one pops up that leaves me shaking my head in wonder. And for what reason I couldn't say for sure. Maybe I've been too deeply involved in T-34s lately. Ha!

Anyway, one this is for sure, this builder's model did inspire me enough to go out and work on a model some today as I had time, after about a week or so or not fooling with them at all. So I guess in a way it did serve it's purpose.

And there ain't no doubt about it, there's a lot of inspiration in this person's painting/weathering techniques for me.

Take care, Sgirty
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC
Well, I think the model is very nicely done, but not to the extend of some of the superlatives that have been posted by some people. The effect may have been a little overdone to some people's taste, but what I noticed at first was the unnatural sag of the tracks. Russian armour is well known for the exesive sag of the tracks, and in this case the laws of gravity seem not to apply.

Still I don't think that would be a reason to throw your own models in the bin.

Henk
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
The model was a nicely done but like people said it still has flaws everyone has flaws or they would be GOD.

It's all it takes is practice get some cheap plastic toys and weather them till you can understand what he did. There are some cheap toys in Toys R US or a toy store and just go to town.

That is what I am doing I have about 5-6 models finished and taped up and ready for finishing touches but I don't feel comfortable weathering yet so I painted the toys and weather them.

I just started using MIG pigments and it helps a lot to add weathering and bring the model to life because paint is to thin and has no volume too it. But MIG does give it that little bit of volume feel.

Happy Modeling
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:04 PM UTC
Now that shows that you can superdetail your weathering just like supedetail your model!

Quoted Text

If one of mines turned out like this .. Man Id be one happy camper

what are you talking about!, yours DO turn out like that.....

Maybe the people who didn't like it is because they were told that the model is really good, and instead of admiring it they tryed to look for flaws. Thats what happened to me anyway.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
No matter what how well you do, there will ALWAYS be someone who you think does better. The gent who built this one, I'm sure he's looked at others and wondered if he could do as good of a job as they did. If you are happy with your work then it's well done. I try not to compare my work to some of the work shown on this site. Usually I'm pretty happy with what I've done, but there are times......
To me, if you want to paint your model bright pink and it gives you pleasure, then do it. It may not be historically accurate, but that's not always the point of model building. The point is to enjoy yourself and try different techiniques. Some work and some don't.
JUST ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP