KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
The LCM looks interesting.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:36 PM UTC
I wonder why they chose the Maus since the new Pegasus Hobbies one is a pretty outstanding Braille scale kit, better in quality than any of Dragon's Braille kits.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder why they chose the Maus since the new Pegasus Hobbies one is a pretty outstanding Braille scale kit, better in quality than any of Dragon's Braille kits.

I think it just boils down to that the DML kit will be alot easier to get then the Pegasus one. Why did DML come out with new King Tigers if the Tamiya ones where so good?

I hate to see dulipcation of a subject just like anyone else, but there must be some business case for it, if they can afford to come with two-three kits of the same subject matter and each company make money off it.

RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC
Think about it, its all about compition one manufacturer is not going to let another one have a monopoly on the most popular kits.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC
True, Pegasus models are not mainstream, but the Maus is always available on eBay by a couple of different sellers; and can be actually cheaper than buying direct from Pegasus (ust waiting for my eBay one to arrive). I wouldn't be surprised if DML's are from the same molds as Pegasus'.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
I just read elsewhere that Trumpeter has also released a 1/72 Maus and that their box art is identical to that of Pegasus. The Pegasus model is, in fact, produced in China (but what isn't? :-) ). By the way, I recieved my Maus and have just completed it. Overall, it's a real little beauty, and at 5 1/2 " long is hardly 'brail scale'! There was one minor problem in getting the lower hull to fit flush into the upper hull. I believe it is the drive-sprocket assembly which is a little too wide. There is also a riddle on the roof (Riddler on the Roof??? :-) :-) ). There are 4 or 5 holes - one near each corner and one near the center of the roof. Were these meant to be locating holes for lifting rings? These holes are not referred to in the instructions. I just puttyied them over for lack of any reference.
If the Pegasus Maus is indeed produced by Trumpeter, or another company, they seem to have ommitted whatever parts were supposed to locate in the holes. Can this be a deliberate conspiracy to make the Pegasus Maus inferior or incomplete compared to it's original manufacterer's product?
Since the Maus is basically a 'what if' vehicle, I plan on buying another and making a Maus ll version with scratch I/R sights, stereo range-finder sights, and possibly a higher velocity, longer 105mm gun with muzzle brake (probably the 50mm gun from an Italeri 1/35 Puma )
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...There is also a riddle on the roof (Riddler on the Roof??? :-) :-) ). There are 4 or 5 holes - one near each corner and one near the center of the roof. Were these meant to be locating holes for lifting rings? These holes are not referred to in the instructions. I just puttyied them over for lack of any reference...

I posed this same question to the experts at Missing Links Axis forum. Here are the answers I got: Mysterious holes in the roof of a Maus turret...

The fifth post down by Karl-Heinz had the most logical response:

Quoted Text

Those holes where done for installing periscopes.Those small german tube periscopes(sehstaab) find on all commander tanks.
The original block periscopes where removed.
I recomend you to purchase "Maus" by Thomas Jentz.
It is not expensive very complete.
There are five of those holes.When not in use there where cosed with an armor plug.
Bye
KH

Bottom line is that the holes belonged there. Someone even sent me a Maus photo that clearly shows the turret askew on the hull and the holes are exactly where they are on the kit.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
Oh-oh!! I filled in the holes!
Sabot
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just read elsewhere that Trumpeter has also released a 1/72 Maus and that their box art is identical to that of Pegasus.

Here is a link to a message posted on M-L's Braille scale forum: Not our kit. Larry Thompson of Pegasus Hobbies says, "Not our kit September 7 2004, 9:21 AM

Thanks for the compliments. The Dragon kit is not our kit. Trumpeter is releasing our kit in Asia.

I have been to Kubinka 3 times for information on our kit and yet there are things that we have missed. Ours may not perfect,but I think is very good.

Thank You

Larry Thompson"

So the Trumpeter Maus will be the Pegasus Maus.
 _GOTOTOP