_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Making bushes using parsley (question)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 09:07 PM UTC
Those of you who make your own parsley and/or oregano bushes, do you seal them after painting? I have just made five good size bushes (for my Normandy dio) and they do look really nice. So far none of the parsley flakes have come off so the glue is holding pretty well. I used Elmers tack glue in a spray can. I had to use heavy duty paint thinner to get that stuff off my hands. Now, should I seal my bushes with something like an acrylic spray or will it be sufficient to leave them as they are? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Marty
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
I guess the glue will stick all right. I would be more worried about it getting some extra debris, dust and insects #:-) and stuff like that you may not want to display in your dio...
A week after making a tree with 3M spray glue I still have sticky stains in my hands... #:-) #:-) #:-)

Toni
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC
I did very similar trees in a dio and I gave it a couple of light coats of Testors Dull Coat sealer. It went on fine and I didn't have any problems.
I'd recommend it. Spray lightly and in thin coats are the only two things I would add.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 09:04 AM UTC
Also I know this might sound kind of like I have been looking in the Doll house dept but you won't get me to admit it who you looking at BUD .
But I did and I saw these bags of real small leaves that they use for doll houses some are real big but they have different sizes. Also Hudson and Allen makes a set of leaves for around $8.50 so what you do is get the set and hit the copy machine and copy yourself a couple of sets sit down with the exacto and bam leaves this is what I do on my Dino Dioramas.
Just a different answer
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:34 PM UTC
A week after making a tree with 3M spray glue I still have sticky stains in my hands...
I'm with Envar on this one!
as much as i like using 3M photo-mount my front room carpet will never be the same!
And the wife is still mad #:-)
But it does do the job!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi,

I also use M3 spray glue and this is how I do it.

First of all I wear rubber disposable gloves (a box of 100 pieces about 10 Euro) and I always spray inside a cardboard box (like a shoebox).

This way my hands and floor/wall stay clean .

I am happy and the wife is happy
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
Thanks all. I don't have any problems with spraying the glue and making a mess since I do it outside on the balcony (yes I too wear latex gloves). I guess this time around I won't seal the bushes with anything and see how they hold up. If necessary I will apply a matt finish in the future.

Marty
HellaYella
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC
when making bushes like for cemetary or park borders which are about 2" should I just use seafoam foilage and trim them (manicure/landscape) them to rectangular sizes? or should I just buy 2" trees by Custom Dioramics and add seafoam to them and trim?
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
another trick to seal herbs to sea foam, is hair spray , its probably not as good as the expensive stuff, but it does the job, its economical, and cheap. hope this helps

matt
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 03:45 AM UTC
If you use hairspray, be sure to use the odorless (unscented). You need to seal the spices or they will turn brown.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
I used hair spray once... but i forgot the LITTLE detail of the smell... my dio smells like my grandama!
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:17 PM UTC
i dont know about most of you but i dont bother about the smell, it goes away after a short while.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:49 PM UTC
Making my Nam trees with all these stuff (oregano mint ....) i use only the 3M spray glue with several passes to stick the material on the woods. leave em to dry and then 3-4 coats over it with leaving 6-8 hours time in between the coats. The last tree 2 months now doesnt have lost a single leave so i think no problem
 _GOTOTOP