_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon PAK 40
seyahmit
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but there is another 7.5 cm PAK 40 to be released next month.

Barcode: 0 89195 86249 5
Box Size: 7.5"x14.2"x2"
Packaging: 36 pieces per master carton

-=NEW SECRET ITEM ANNOUNCED=-

1/35 7.5cm PAK 40 w/Heer Gun Crew

This 7.5cm PAK 40 is loaded with special features and even 4 Heer Gun Crewmen!

Special Features:
- True-to-scale and fully accurate
- Hi-tech double-layer gun shield w/rivets
- Workable breech (shell insert is possible)
- Both aluminium barrel and plastic barrels included
- Two types of 3-D designed muzzle brakes included
- Two types of wheels included
- Two tire patterns included (both new and worn out tread)
- Heer Gun Crewmen x 4
- Ammunition box (tube, wooden case and metal case)
- Brass ammo x 3
- Photo-etched parts for gun shield vision cover

1/35 7.5cm PAK 40 w/Heer Gun Crew plus Bonus Features
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC
Gosh!! All that, and a bag of chips???
:-) :-) :-)
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:40 PM UTC
I take back my previous flippant remark. This model is really excellent and up to the usual high standards of DML. The figures, unfortunately, are the same from the 'Frozen Battleground' set, but adapt nicely as the gun crew. Some of the hands may have to be repositioned or replaced to have the proper grip for handling the ammo. Whichever version you build, there are 2 spare muzzlebrakes, which come in handy as replacement parts for earlier kits - Stug lll, Stug lV, Mk lV's, etc.
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi All,
I plan on getting one. and the one from AFV Club. To go with my ones from Tamiya and Italeri.

I never complain about what someone does. Rivet counters and nitpickers are bad for modelling.

Sorry 'bout the rant.

Chris- modelling wanabe in training
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 04:59 PM UTC
Actually, the kit has already been released. My LHS has one in stock, which arrived 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm waiting for the 251/22, so I decided to not pick it up. I'm actually pretty pleased with my self control in this case.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:56 PM UTC
There are quite a number of 'issues' with the Dragon Pak 40. It does appear to build into quite a good replica. However, what this does indicate, if you follow the releases as much as I (have to ) do, there are some interesting coincidences between this release and the Pak 40 from AFV Club.The biggest 'coincidence' is the timing - DML moved hell and high water to release theirs before AFV Club's as they did with the 251 Series - that is NOT IMHO, happenstance.. DML are at the present moment, targeting AFV Club (with what agenda - I'll leave it to your suspicious minds to figure out ) My personal feeling, is that DML wants to 'absorb' AFV Club - particularly since in many cases the latter does things a damn sight better than DML and therefore establish a bigger (monopoly?) share of the emerging market in the Far East...

Before some of you start crying Conspiracy Theorist!!, I am not the only one who is convinced that something like this is on the cards - there are quite a number of us who see definite patterns developing...

For any of you that HAVEN'T decided on what Pak 40 to buy, can I suggest you have a look at this: Pak 40s Compared... ....Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:14 PM UTC
serious competition for Tamiya and Italeri......
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

serious competition for Tamiya and Italeri......

Perhaps, although I tend to think that the former is more interested in other areas - R/C and Pre-built/Painted armor. I personally am convinced that DML is going to become the biggest 'player' very shortly....Jim
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DML are at the present moment, targeting AFV Club

Highly likely, but with reviews like the one on the above refered site... they better try a lot harder. For those wanting the "executive summary"

"Clearly the AFV kit is superior to the DR kit when looking at the gun only in almost every area except the muzzle brakes with much finer details throughout and accurate dimensions to boot with the brass gun shields providing very nice detail definition.

The glaring dimensional errors on the DR kit really do show a lack of research or just a rushed job to get the kit out into AFV’s face, but whatever the reason it is a big let down in the accuracy stakes.

So you have a clear choice, a dimensionally accurate and nicely detailed kit or a dimensionally suspect kit with okay details but with plenty of options and additional parts at a cheaper price.
"

Slightly but does AFV Club have a website?

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never complain about what someone does. Rivet counters and nitpickers are bad for modelling.

- Chris

Well Chris, I couldn't agree more with those sentiments - too many people are put-off by the self-appinted experts and the hyper-critical.idiots who populate every site (and hobby show) in the known universe..

However, there has to be a line drawn in the sand. Considering the access that the Major Manufacturers have to data - both here on the 'web and in the plethora of publications which are available nowadays. I personally don't think they have many excuses. Some of the errors on the DML Pak 40 are just downright dumb - surely it would be as easy to get it right rather than get it wrong?

Now i'm not singling out DML for criticism - many who know me on this site for being pretty dismissive of Tamiya in particular for its lack of imagination. I have constanly praised DML for addressing some series gaps in the market - i.e. the 251 series. In that they have done a superb job they have also done a superb job on their new M4 (albeit, not the most 'popular' variant).

I think we have, as consumers, the perfect right to make our feelings known. If not, it negates the meticulous work done here (and on many other sites) in reviewing a product.

When I pay for a meal in a restaurant i'm not 'grateful' I may enjoy it but it is the proprietors who should be grateful to me for patronizing their establishment. Constructive criticism yes - blank acceptance, no....Jim
 _GOTOTOP