jungle plants
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:28 AM UTC
hi there,

Does any oe you know how to create a realistic jungle underground (some trees,some plants)?I hope i can scratch most of them.I know there are plants available but they are very expensive!!(Verlinden).Maybe some plastic aquarium plants,i can reapint them.Does any of you have some tips???

cheerz Q.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
Check a local arts and craft store in the dried flower department. I found a bag of various stuff that worked really well. You will have to sort things out since some of it is useless for our purposes but some looks great as scale jungle foliage. Click on this link https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/591composite.jpg to see how this works. For dead trees, Armand Bayardi makes excellent resin castings in a a variety of sizes.
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi lordQ, I used painted aquarium plants on this Type 97 dio with some success. I sprayed them a base coat of flat green and then hand painted and weathered as needed.

bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
you could use aluminum foil for the foliage and a thin wire for the stem. that way you can cut to any size and shape u want and then paint.
hope it helps
ian
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:33 PM UTC
thanks guys!

i tried the alminium but it isn't really "paintable"
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
try priming the foil first!!
ian
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
So far I've scratchbuilt most of my stuff in my 2 jungle dios coz of the difficulty and costs of obtaining suitable scale materials over here. So being in a tropical country I experimented with preserving stuff.

The bananas shown below are scratchbuilt based on an excellent idea given by one of the guys here (under Flora/Fauna section entitled Banannas if I'm not mistaken) with slight modification on the leaves. I'm using it on my Drug runner Colombian jungle dio which I will hopefully get some photos in my gallery this weekend.

Besides wild bananas, secondary jungles have a fair bit of tall grasses which you can simulate with brush hair and coconut hemp. I have some shots of those in my gallery under my swamp dio.

Ferns which are very common in jungles can sometimes be done with material you get from dried flower material. I've used real ferns preserved with glycerin, the easiest I've found to preserve. I've worked with aquarium plants and usually they're a bit off the scale and you have to hide their plastic joints.

Coconuts and jungle palms whose leaves are time consuming to build can also be scratchbuilt. There's 2 articles here, one under Flora/Fauna and another under Features (Diorama). Sorry I didn't look for the links. I've a scratchbuilt coconut pic too in my forum but it needs more leaves.

Secondary or disturbed jungles are the hardest to build as the sparser tree canopies allow a LOT of variety and amount of groundcover to grow. Virgin jungles have minimal light penetration thus limiting the amount and variety of ground cover to shade tolerant plants like ferns.

Here's a link with lots of photos of tropical jungles. Its in Australia but they give you a rough idea what you need to replicate.

[url=http://www.gu.edu.au/text/ins/collections/webb/types.html[/url]
 _GOTOTOP