_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
one of my in progress dios
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:18 PM UTC
Well I started this a couple of days ago to use this me262 I had put aside a long time ago and to attempt a snow scenario using baking soda. It's quite simple and it still lacks the barbed-wire to make the fence and the me262 needs painting of course...I was hoping you could give me some hints to improve this dio regarding some items I should add or the background-history itself...My first idea was like some soldiers walking by and finding this abandoned me262, covered with some recent snow...that kubelwagen is just to give you some idea of the size, it doenst have to be there once the dio is finished. I'm still taking my first steps on dio making so I dont have much kits to take parts from but I can always scratchbuid a couple..What do you think I should do to bring this to life? (the road will be painted in dark shades of brown and covered with a gloss varnish to give the muddy look and than some "snow" will be sprinkled here and there..Well it all needs painting and after that it'll be covered with the backing soda. It's all very raw at the moment.)

Thanx in advance!!

Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:33 PM UTC
well, i like it much, here are some suggestions:

first: make a deeper track behind the ME262, he shoulda make more damage to the ground when he crushed.

second: i would leave the kubel there, and add some figures, a sample story "a mechanic (or and officer) used the kubel with the driver to go outfield and check out the ammount of damage on ME262 and check out if its worthy to send some kind of transportation to drag it back to airfield....."

Third: i would add some more bushes, not much but a bit more

fourth: find some suitable branch to represent a full tree, and replace that broken one, since its winter time that branch wont have to posses any leaves and it will add to the overall "hight" of your scene

fifth (and last): ME262 should have more damage (especially on the wings) from forced landing...

With good painting and muddy road, i think you have a nice little dio

I also hope i helped you with my advices, you dont have to take them serious if you dont like them

cheers

Mirko
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:41 PM UTC
Fransisco
i like ur dio idea, alot of baking soda huh ?

i think you just have to put mor damage on the plane ? and some prints from the plane when it was fell and crashed

cheers
Ricky
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:08 PM UTC
That's some great advise!really! I liked your story Mirko! I'll work on the plane this afternoon and I'll try to make a tree out of something...My initial goal wasnt to represent a crashed plane but yes to represent a left behind one...the landing gears just got buried in the snow and all...let's see how it comes out!!

Thanks again!
Sensei
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's some great advise!really! I liked your story Mirko! I'll work on the plane this afternoon and I'll try to make a tree out of something...My initial goal wasnt to represent a crashed plane but yes to represent a left behind one...the landing gears just got buried in the snow and all...let's see how it comes out!!

Thanks again!

Im glad i could help you,

dont "make the tree out of something" go into a local PARK, there's plenty of trees there, just find a nice branch and cut it off and voila! a tree! :-)

cheers
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
Ola Fransisco

I have to say that lately some quite interesting dio`s are made and in progress and this is one of them.

Still I have some ideas you might try to improve it.

When a plane of that size comes down and lands on his belly in a field in a corner your plane is lying now it would have slided quite a while through the field. so maybe you could make a ditch in the field where your plane lies at the end (where it is now) and in the other direction the ditch leaving the diorama so you get the idea the plane came sliding in the diorama. Have some damage on one wing and place a broken or bended tree stem in the path of a wing.
I second the opinion of adding a bit more bushes or just a tree without leaves because it generates a little heigth in the dio and in this way making it a bit more interesting to view.
Have a crew crawling around and on the plane to have the idea that they are looking for parts of the plane that can be salvaged. Note the ME262 saw action late in the war and supplies and other spare parts became Sparse. So every plane of that type that came down was stripped of everything usefull to be used in othjer ME262`s I would leave the Kubel there so you have something to fill that space up in front.
I assume that this is scale 1:72. For Barbed wire in 1:72 you could use sewingthread with every couple of mm a little knot tied into it. Note on 1:1 Barbed wire the spikes are not that big divide that in 72 and you will have something that is almost not visible. I think that would work very well to simulate Barbed wire 1:72.

So far my critics I hope they are worth something to you and that you can do/learn something from it.

Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
First of all, thank you all for your tips!

I decided to follow them and the photos show what I changed:

»Broken tree on the left, with the top part under the wing to ide some more complex surgery...
»tree on the back side unpainted
»some rocks added and some more bushes
»the ditches made by the nose and engines, that will show after I get some dark brown paint on them

I guess I should put some grass around the fence poles, what do you think?I hope I dont mess up the snow covering!!! That thing about putting some crew menbers lurkin around the plane is excellent! I could put the officer near the kubelwagen, waiting for them...The problem is that I cant get any figures in 72nd here in Lisbon, there are not from revell or airfix sets...From where should I get them?Any e-shops you recommend or from any sets you know?

Thanx again and here are the pics

LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hola Francisco!
For figures try this site- http://www.reynaulds.com/preiser/p_1-72_figures.asp?item=lngNumericSort
I like the work you've done so far, and the changes you've added. I will say however, that if you are changing it to a crash, I think your 262 would be more damaged. At the least, the engine cowling would be torn off, at most the engine would be missing with damage to the wing & horizontal stabilizer. A lot of work, I know, but check Google for Aircraft crashes and you'll see just how easily Aluminum is torn apart...
Just trying to help
RobH
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:10 AM UTC
Just a smooth belly landing then thanx for the tip
Sensei
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 06:21 PM UTC
Its looking much better now!!!

you could make some damage to the plane, especially on the wings.

About the figs, check out www.squardon.com

Heller produces some nice sets of 1/72 mechanics (some nice positions of the figs)
If u can get them, they are very nice an they would be usable to you in this case!

cheers
Mirko
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
Thanks a lot ya'll

Yo Sensei, thanks for you comment, I guess things are finally getting somewhere! I dont know if I should had much damage to the plane cause I've never tried it and I dont know where or how to start...after all it'll be covered with snow, so not much will be seen...

This is what I've done last night, some barbed-wire for the fences. Made out of copper wire and I just need to trim those edges...What do you guys think?That figure is just for scalling.. I guess I'll look for those heller sets but I'm also looking for some Preiser ones.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me what kind of damage should I do, in fact if it was possible to get me some examples It would be really great!

Thanx in advance and dont hesitate to post your comments!

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:12 PM UTC
Ola Fransisco

Man you are doing good and fast.

I like the changes you made to the dio. The Ditch behind the plane looks very good and with a little dark brown paint in it it will be stunning.
The broken tree looks very good. I still second the opinion to do some damage to the plane but if you like to leave it this way it is good also.
You are off to a good start with your Barbed wire my only critics around it are that it has too less barbs. When you look at a real barbed wire fence you`ll see that the spikes are at a distance of a fist from each other (when you hold it you have a spike at one side of your hand and one spike at the other side.) So a little more spikes on it will make it look even more realistic.
Another nitpick about the barbed wire is that usually Barbed wire is not attached to the poles as seen in your picture. It`s quite a job to do it that way plus you can really hurt yourself when rolling it around the pole like that. You might know that barbed wire comes in a Bundle and it`s easier to roll it out as far as needed and on the place where you want it to be attached you nail it to the pole. And then go on to the next pole rolling it again out as much as needed. Plus they need to be rusty veeeery rusty. Barbed wire usually is made of the cheapest metal around and it rusts when you turn your back to it.
I have worked on a farm and I have made plenty Barbed wire fences. I hope this can still be changed.
I presume that the poles of the fence still need to be painted? they still look a bit odd.

Further I can`t wait till the figures are added I really like the concept of the dio and the work you put in it shows off. Great job

Sensei
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC
well, personally i never did a crashed plane, so i guess someone else will give you better pointers there.

About the barbed wire, i would say its a bit too thick, but its only me, and maybe its just a pic, and i must support FAUST about the thing it wasnt rolled on the wooden posts, maybe a simple wooden board country fence would look better? i dont think they rolled a barbed wire somewhere too far from the bases, and a wooden fence would look better, especially with some broken boards....

but its only a suggestion

otherwise, as i said before, youre doing a good work and its getting better

Mirko
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Faust and Sensei thanks a lot for your tips You are absolutely right about the barbed wire but I didnt finish putting those rings on it yet, neither it is glued to poles. I just had to stop for a while It seams I can get some preiser sets from my local hobby shop so I'll aim for a couple of mechanics, an officer and a driver. The officer and the driver will be near the kubelwaggen and the 2 mechanics will be looking for parts, one on the ground and the other on top of the plane somewhere. The footsteps on the flufy snow will be really nice to do! Now I'm off to start painting another dio I'm doing, just to rest a bit from this one but please take a look at this thread cause I'll keep you posted about any advances I do!

Thanks again,

Francisco

also in braille scale:

_GOTOTOP