_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italian M40-75/18 Semovente questions
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 11:27 PM UTC
I picked up the Italeri Semovente kit. It looks rather nice but wondered about adding something to it. This is an older boxing and the tracks looked as stiff as a board. I bought a set of Model Victoria resin tracks to solve that problem. Really nice tracks BTW.

I've seen an Eduard PE set for the Tamiya Semovente (#35312) and I wonder if it could be used for the Italeri kit.

Additionally, I found the Royal Model Italian Tank M40 75/18 upgrade set (#204). It is listed as a resin/photo etched set and is for the Italeri/Zvezda kit as opposed to the Tamiya kit. Any comments on the Royal Model set?

The Royal Model set runs $27 at Great Model and the Eduard set is $11 at Squadron.

Are there any other detail sets out there? Is there a barrel for the kit or does the Royal Model set include a barrel?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Royal Model set, but if I have to get a barrel, I may stay with the Eduard set, although after looking at the Eduard instructions, there's not a whole lot to it that I couldn't do myself.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:14 AM UTC
Ciao Rob,
This is just my two cents, but......I would recommend that you buy the Italeri M13/40 and then kit bash with all the above mentioned stuff. The Italeri kit is cheap (after spending all that other money) and I really liked the details on the Italeri better than the Tamiya. I have built two semoventi from Tamiya, and I was able to get a decent barrel out of the one provided. Just drill the pepperbox out first, then join the barrel halves. But, I am anti-aftermarket, so I'm a little biased. There might be more info over at missing-lynx. Steve Zaloga (the modern Shep Paine) built one on that site (I think.) Enough, start posting pictures.
Ciao for now
Rob
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:59 AM UTC
Rob,
Why not email Scocia on this one he's built a few
Sabot
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ciao Rob,
This is just my two cents, but......I would recommend that you buy the Italeri M13/40 and then kit bash with all the above mentioned stuff.

Thanks, but I already have the Italeri Semovente (turretless assault tank) and wanted to know about detail items for it and not the turreted tank version.

What would the Italeri M13/40 give me that the Italeri M40-75/18 doesn't (besides the turret)?
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
If you really want to go all out on that Italeri Semovente, I'd suggest looking for the Model Victoria set (designed for the Italeri/Zvezda kits). It is a full interior/exterior detailing set (sans engine compartment), and with that big opening you would actually get to see the interior detail . While I don't have it, I did use their set for the M13/40 and was extremely impressed by its quality. Some of the finest resin I've dealt with. Expensive (~$50 if you can find it), but as I said, if you really wanted to go all out that set would fit the bill quite nicely. Plus, you really wouldn't need anything else (except perhaps Model Victoria's decals, which are equally impressive) since you already have their tracks. R&J Enterprises would be my recommendation for your first stop if you choose to pursue this set, failing that you may have luck at Chesapeake Model Designs.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:37 AM UTC
Rob,
the Italery kit, considering it's age, it's not bad at all. For what concerns the detail sets you've made, in my view the best choice for the tracks (the ones coming with the kit are really ugly), the Model Victoria ones for me are at the same level of the ones Model Kasten. The Royal Model set includes some resin parts too. I like to scratchbuild my details and it's quite rare that I purchase after market sets to do that. If you're not in a hurry tomorrow I can better check the Royal Model set you mentioned and another PE set made from RCR and available in the States (tomorrow I can tell you where).
Consider that anyway that the kit is wrongly named M40 da 75/18 but it's actually an M41 da 75/18. So I won't use the set for the Tamiya by Eduard, because there are several differences between the M40 (Tamiya) and the M41 (Italeri/Zvezda)
Ciao for now
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
Sorry for the delay Rob, I'm still gathering the info...
Ciao
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 01:09 AM UTC
Rob,
sorry for the very late reply, but to retrieve the info i needed much more time than forecasted.
Coming to your questions:
Royal model detail set
It includes resin and photoetched parts, mant to detail mainly the outside of the model even if a few interiors part should be included. It doesn't include the barrel, that is anyway available from Jordi Rubio

Eduard PE set
It's for the Tamiya that's actually a Semovente da 75/18 on a M40 hull, so it's not suitable for the Italeri/Zvezda that is marked to be on the M40 hull but is actually on the M41 hull

RCR PE set
This setr is much smaller (and should be cheaper too) than the Eduard and is for the Italeri/Zvezda kit. It's an Italian product that you can find at Pacific Coast Models.

I hope this can help.
Sorry once more for the delay...
Ciao
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the information. The hunt begins.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC
You're welcome Rob!!!
Ciao
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hey Sab,
I have the Zvezda-re-boxed Italeri Semovente kit in the German markings.
I almost bought the Royal Models detail set for it, which is much like their M13/40 set, complete with pre-draped sandbags.
Handled it up close and personal, you had to look close to tell if it was resin or injected - it is that GOOD!

But... I'm not much of an interior guy, prefer my tanks looking buttoned up for combat so I passed.

I did pick up the RCR Models brand aluminum bbl with a resin "pepper-shaker" muzzle brake for the M40/75.

Very nice, but as you know - this is one stubby bbl.

My advice - see what the kit bbl looks like 1st, before springing for an aftermarket bbl, you might be able to make do with the stock bbl.
JM$.02
Sabot
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:38 PM UTC
I found the RCR set on eBay that came with the barrel. It ran me $20.50 with $2 shipping, about what the total would cost at Pacific Coast Models before shipping (I used that figure to determine my maximum bid).

The RCR PE sets looks like it will really enhance the kit, moreso than the Eduard set. Like the Eduard set, this one states that it is for the Tamiya kit, but I figure I would give it a try any way. RCR Exterior PE sheet for Tamiya Italian Semovente 75/18 M.40. I was considering RCR's decals sheet, but it was more than the PE or barrel.

Thanks for your assistance.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
As far as I know, the RCR guys made the set for the Italeri kit, and they confirmed it to me thi afternoon. is it written on the set instructions that is for the Tamiya? I'm out on the week-end so I cannot check mine...
Ciao
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
No, the Pacific Models website describes it as for the Tamiya kit. I find this strange since the Italeri kit is superior and if they were going to invest in an aftermarket item, that it would be geared towards the better kit. I have not received the set yet.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
I'll have a check on the instructions on monday...
Ciao
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 01:44 AM UTC
Fabio, I got the RCR items in the mail and they are made for the Italeri kit like you surmised. Very nicely done resin and aluminum barrel. The PE set is good, it contains enough items without being extravagant.
 _GOTOTOP