_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
A Tiger-Battle on 11th of may (!!)
Ralf
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

have to tell You an incredible story I read on a german webpage. It is related bey eye-wittnesses of 2nd SS-PzRegiment. As it could be a great diorama-topic, here comes the story:

It´s the 8th of may 1945, day of german surrender. In Austria resting parts of 2nd SS Pz-Regiment are prepared to surrender to the allied troops. Among small groups, waiting in the hills around Linz (Austria), there is a group of 20 Grenadiers, a Tiger I Ausf. E.(early) and a PzIV (late).
On 9th of may, there came a US-Jeep with two soldiers and a white flag in order to arrange german surrender. The highest range of the german troups was a Hauptscharführer, who at the same time was comander of the Tiger-crew. One of the US-Officers was a jew, born in Nürnberg, same as the Tiger-Comander, who was born in that town too. So they got talking for hours about war, holocaust and nonsense of fighting against each other. Suddenly the US-Officer asked, if the Tiger-Comander would drive into a last battle. There were wounded US-troups, surrounded in a near village by russian tank troups, who were going to destroy a small number of german troups, also wounded in that village. Without a counter attack by heavy arms the german grenadiers would end badly, same as the american troups who were trapped in the same village. The Tiger-Crew agreed, and so did the grenadiers and the PzIV-crew. (The counter attack to rescue US and german troups was voluntary). The american officer promised, that after the rescue-operation all soldiers who participated in it, could go home as free men.
In the morning of 10th of may, the US-Officers returned with two trucks, containing food, cigarettes, fuel and most important: amunition of another captured Tiger.
"So many food we did´nt see since the Normandy-battle", the Tiger-Officer should remember later.
So in the evening of 10th of may the german battle-group made it´s way towards the russian line. On 11th of may (!!) the battle began. On a distance of 1300 m. the Tiger became aware of 2 JS and 3 T34 tanks, which were firing from the top of a hill into the village. The first shot of the Tiger´s 88mm-gun destroyed a JS2, the second hit a T34, same time as a PZ IV shell. Inmediately the resting russian troups retreated from the hill - so the wounded americans and germans (appearently from Regiment "Der Führer") could escape from the village. The US-Officer later kept his word and the germans could go home (though the Tiger-Comander one Year after that battle was arrested, because of a Traitor).

So this is the story, as it is related by eye-witnesses. I first didn´t believe it. But when I investigated about that I got to know that indeed, there were dicussions between US and russian troups about the borderline, ending with the division of the austrian town of Linz.

Does anybody know which US-troops were fighting on 8th of may near Linz (Austria)?
Was there any problem between US-troups an Russians in that region?
And most of all: How would You put into scene a story like that?

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
Good story! Do you have a link to it?
Ralf
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 05:20 AM UTC
Desafortunately, this page is all in german. But here is the link:

http://www.panzerlehr.de

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 05:22 AM UTC
Thanks, I'll translate it.
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
I'm always willing to soak up hisory, and thats a nice piece of history right there, thanks
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC
God, it's good story! Thank you for sharing this with us. Swansong of the Tiger!

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi Ralf .............Great story !!!!!!!
It reminds me of what Patton wanted
to do in the first place; " take the German Army joined
with the U.S. Army and knock the hell out of Russia " !
- Stalin was a bigger "butcher " then Hitler and just
as much of a madman !

- ralph
Ralf
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC
Somehow this story anticipated what happened later, remember the origins of the NATO. Soon we became aware that the former USSR was going to catch all piece of Europe they could, if not .....
well, if there wouldn´t have been a great US-President, shouting out one day loud and clear:

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!!!!

Germans never will forget that.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 08:05 PM UTC
Good Story Ralf really down to earth. Nice shot of Humanity showing thru even in times of Strife.
rick
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 09:51 PM UTC
Thanks for that site. I spend a lot of time for search the web for that information, and now I have it. Thanks.
Rick
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC
That's a great story.
I'm not sure as to who was the U.S. troops but, could it have been the 71st Infantry? I do know that they penetrated farther east than any other U.S. combat unit. They also accepted the surrender of the German Army Group South on May 7, 1945, one day prior to V.E. day. and total rout of the German Sixth SS division Nord.
Anyone else perhaps know more?
 _GOTOTOP