_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Camouflage Patterns
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
I have just unwrapped my first modelling endeavor ... a 1/35 scale Tiger Tank. Before beginning to "dirty" my hands ... I was wondering where I would collect information for planning and painting an accurate camouflage pattern? Any help, suggestions, recommendations be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:12 PM UTC
although i dont do WW2 models i do beleive for paiting any model the best way to get a god accurate paint job is to go to a search engine like google, and do an image search on your tank. Once you have found a good image try and replicate that onto your model and improvise if you can if you cant find a collection of images creating a 360 degree view of the tank. Hope this helps

Also try a search in the forum for your tank and see what toher people have come up with
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
mislmd, First I would like to welcome you to armorama. I hope you have fun here Next try this link for camo schemes that will cover your tiger
http://bsdi.usppp.com/wwiiscalemodels/schemes/panzertarnung.html
Hope you enjoy building your kitty and please post in progress pics as you go along. Cheers Kevin
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:17 PM UTC
Thanks for your help ... I have found quite a few good images that I will use for a guide.
Now I just have to read up on "camouflage" techniques. Has anyone got some pointers for newbies like me on camouflaging?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi there,

The way to apply camouflage depends on the type of camo I will depict. As a rule:

Winter white wash Brush and lots of thinner.
Ambush (Dapple) Airbrush and brush
Woodland Airbrush or brush

Airbrush usualy gives the best results, but it can be done with a brush alone. Best practise on a scap piece first. What camo scheme are you thinking of?

This is my Tiger I in a Normandy scheme, done with brush.

This is my Wirbelwind which was done with an airbrush.

Any questions, just ask.

Good luck.

Henk

DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 10:55 PM UTC
Can you tell us what Tiger is it that you are building? because there are many patterns for tigers, from Afrika to russia, Normandy, Germany, all different places had different schemes.
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you tell us what Tiger is it that you are building? because there are many patterns for tigers, from Afrika to russia, Normandy, Germany, all different places had different schemes.

I am building Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger I Aus E (German Tiger I Mid Production). Any recommendations for where I can see these "Patterns" you mentioned? I was thinking to use either Normandy or Russia setting, would either be appropriate?
Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far! #:-)
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 05:13 PM UTC
Oops ... I am thinking by "pattern" you mean the camouflage scheme.
I am leaning towards doing a summer scheme/Russian location 1944-ish.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
mislmd -
First welcome from one "new" to another. I've just gotten back into the hobby (actually back to a serious approach) after several years absence and have been looking through various kits, supplies, references that have been gathering dust. As a result, I've found again some of the Uwe Feist books, Osprey books, Squadron "Armor in Action" references I had stored away. They are a great source of info and some nice color sources for camo patterns and painting ideas. I believe most of them are still available through the online sources like VLS, Squadron, or even Amazon.com. I even have an extra "Armor in Action" for the Tiger I that I'd be willing to send if you want it. Anyway, glad to have you joined up and look forward to hearing about your progress, seeing your work. Enjoy,

Blade48mrd
 _GOTOTOP