_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British MLRS
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi guys. I am after pictures of the MLRS system in British colours. I need to see markings, colour scheme, launchers stowed and elevated and as many views as possible of the other doors and hatches ( a walkround perhaps). Also does anyone make a set of decals for this machine in British use? I am building the Revell "MARS" kit but want it in Brit livery. Am i right in thinking that the chassis is Bradley based and therefore I could replace the tracks with an aftermarket set for the bradley?

schrauber
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:51 PM UTC
hi,

we build a scratch mlrs in 1/16 - take a look if you wanth ! : http://www.rcpanzer.de/apboard/board.php?id=6

I have al lot of pics of the mlrs and bradley, if you wanth a CD : tell me

regards from Bawaria

Axel
www.afv-model.com
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am i right in thinking that the chassis is Bradley based and therefore I could replace the tracks with an aftermarket set for the bradley?

That's correct, but MLRS suspension is significantly longer than the Bradley one, so you may not get enough links in a set designed for Bradley.

Pawel
fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:57 PM UTC
try this site http://plain-military.tripod.com
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
Thanks guys. That is one awesome model! I take it it will be fully functioning? (Rockets and all?) One of my main questions is; the kit has doors over the tail end of the rocket housing, when they are fired, do these doors swing open onto the roof of the launcher, or are they not fitted on UK MLRS as I can't seem to find any pictures with them in view? Also what is my best bet for after market tracks, can I get away without buying two sets of Fruilmodel tracks (very expensive option!!

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of my main questions is; the kit has doors over the tail end of the rocket housing, when they are fired, do these doors swing open onto the roof of the launcher, or are they not fitted on UK MLRS as I can't seem to find any pictures with them in view?

These covers at the back of launchers are only on German MARS vehicles, so you do not need them for your project. And I undersand that they are removed before launch.

Before you choose the source for your tracks, you need to decide what type of them you want to use. In original Dragon MLRS kit old style tracks were provided with chevron shaped rubber blocks. Aftermarker tracks of this kind are available from Friul Model (metal), Modelkasten and Academy (both plastic). UK used such tracks for their MLRS, but just as US they also switched to newer tracks, which have rectagular rubber blocks. I'm not sure whether all British MLRS use the new type tracks now, or are older tracks still in use. New style tracks are available from Friul Model (metal) and Blast Models (resin). The cheapest old style tracks are those from Academy (set No. AA083), but they are very hard to find.

Pawel
targetdriver
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Here's another headbanger for you to think about as well. I served with a National Guard unit in Colorado that recently converted over to the MLRS. One of the interesting things that I learned about it is that there are a different number of track links on each side. This being due to the way the transmission is offset on the right hand side.

So, the right hand side will have more track links than the left. Unfortunatley I can't remember exactly how many off the top of my head. I'll have to dig into my reference notes and if that fails, I'll walk out to their motor pool and start counting....maybe I have pictures instead....

Also, after even one or two rockets being fired, there is a significant amount of burnt paint and bare metal that will show up. We learned that the hard way as one of our first launchers to fire had just been repainted the week before. Ooops! Oh well, now they are touched up as needed to prevent any corrosion and to keep up the good looks.

Scott
winchweight
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 12:06 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Please don't think me rude in not replying sooner. i work away from home and only get to my computor at weekends. I got a brilliant reference CD from Axel (www.afv-model.com), it's full of great pics. I am really intrigued about the differing track lengths. I had pretty much decided on the Fruilmodel bigfoot type pattern. Any extra pictures of the MLRS in UK service would be appreciated, I have seen a couple where a bustle type stowage has been added to the front of the cab. i think I'll add this to my model. As for the rear doors, yes I'll not be fitting them. thanks again chaps.

_GOTOTOP