_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need Panzer IV steel road wheel info please
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
Does anyone know if the steel road wheels on some of the Panzer IV variants are wider than the rubber road wheels? I am building a Krupp Jagdpanzer IV with an 88mm prototype The front two sets of road wheels will be the steel variety

They are wider than the rubber rimmed ones on my kit I am curious if that was the case on the real thing
By wider I mean each wheel halve and the gap in between them
Thanks in advance for any and all help
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
Wish I could help. I don't have any information on a Jgdpz IV with a prototype 88mm, nor do I have any information about the steel road wheels.... return rollers yes, but not the road wheels. Hopefully somebody else will have what you are looking for.
Paska
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
They are the same size. They are meant to be direct replacements for the rubber rimmed wheels. Any change to the spacing between the wheel halves would have had undesirable effects on the tracks. Any tighter and the guide horns would bind between them, any looser and there would be too much side-play of the tracks, causing excessive wear and possible track breakage.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
DML's Jagdpanzer IV/70(A) Zwischen Losung SdKfz 162/1, the tall version of the Panzer IV based tank hunter, kit # 6082 has 8 of these steel wheels. I don't know if it's still in production. You might want to check some of the aftermarket companies as well.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys I added some AM steel wheels from R&J products to the kit They stick out maybe 1 mm farther than the rubber rimmed wheels I guess I'll just sand them down a bit so they all line up
 _GOTOTOP