_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Finished DML T-34/76 1940
Rotorhead
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
I have been lurking in the forums for several months enjoying the discussions and pictures others have posted. I figured I best contributed, "tis only fare!"
I have returned to the hobby for the third or fourth time after a 10 year pause. I just finished my newest project, a T-34/76 1940 kit from DML. I read about all the new tricks with pastels, oils and celuclay (think that is the name) and desided to try them all. I had a ball.

I am going to try to insert my photos of the finished product. I need to work on my picture taking.

Thanks
John

Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:33 PM UTC
John,

Good looking T-34. For one reason or another many of us are 'part timers' but that is no reason to have reduced expectations and your model does not disappoint. Beautiful model.

Cody
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:36 PM UTC
Nice job. Doesn't look like there was any lag in your skills.
The only thing I woudl do differently is to add a bit more mud on the side, just above the tracks. Weathering is a very personal venture though so you kinda do what you like.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 10:23 PM UTC
That's a mean green looking beast you have created. I really like the weathering you've done. I see that the mud is dry so maybe you can tip the tracks with some dark/silver-drybrushing? Whats your next model? T-34 Mod.1941

BTW, you stole my avatar
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
That is a very beautiful model. I like the way it is being weathered. How did you do those mudsplatters all over the tank? By flicking a toothbrush loaded with mud-colored paint or something else?

It would be even nicer if you put some accessories at the back (e.g. tarps, crates, ropes, etc.)

Overall, I give it an A +++++++++++.

Angela
Rotorhead
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback.
I think one problem that one has with any creation is that the creator knows what the mistakes were, and how they changed the model. My tank lost its front fenders because I set the front wheels too high trying to adjust the slack in the Model K tracks.

My method of weathering was kind of dictated by the color. This was the Polly Scale Russian Armor color and for me it was to dark. So I took the oils and used light browns, yellows, white, greens and just played with it. I did both the wash and "drybrush" with oils. I am using the oils that are water based. (no odor & good for my portable work area). The oils were done after a coat of future. Then after the oils I sprayed with Poly Scale Flat Finish. This is after the oils.

I madethe mud mixing Celuclay, water, white glue, and paint. Then I smeared it on. I did stick mud under the fenders but did not make sure it showed around the edge (oversight). The flecks of mud all over the back and front of the tank are indead there via a paint brush. I also discovered that if you do not want a peice of mud where it landed remove it asap. When it dries it takes the paint off if you remove it.

After the above I took MMP powders and added "medium earth". I mixed it with alcohol first and that worked good except I noticed it was leaving a "bathtub" ring (look above the tool boxes). When I mixed water and acohol with the powder it did not make the ring. This problem forced me to try the powder brushed on as dust all over the model.
Then I but a good coat of flat on it again.

I need to either dry brush the tracks as suggested or cover the mud with future to make it look wet. Not sure which yet.

Sorry about borrowing the one eyed monster. I will get original soon.

Man I never write this much!!

John

Rotorhead
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
Here are the pictures that were in my original post.

_GOTOTOP